We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Question: Best propagation on 15 MHZ from Europe to America  (Read 1807 times)

Offline CWR

• View Profile
    • Email
 Hi folks,

we just put up an antenna for 15 MHZ and would like to know the best time to reach you over there in America. We are on low power only, but we we like to try it.

Thanks for replying in advance

Chris

CWR
shortwave@gmx.de

Offline DimBulb

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question: Best propagation on 15 MHZ from Europe to America
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 1659 UTC »
Hi Chris,

Try using the program VOAProp which is a nice interface to VOACAP.  It provides graphical displays for propogation conditions for the HF ham bands based on current solar conditions.  For 15mHz the 20m display should be close enough...

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 1837 UTC »
I can't speak for those south or east in North America; but I generally have the best luck working Europe  from North West North America on 14mhz. from about 2200GMT to about 0200GMT. Low power should be no problem, although AM and low power can be a tough combination.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 2356 UTC »
Check out the Aussie HAP and Ionospheric charts for assistance with frequency selection :)

http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/6/6/1

http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/6/5

Peace!

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 2246 UTC »
I can't speak for those south or east in North America; but I generally have the best luck working Europe  from North West North America on 14mhz. from about 2200GMT to about 0200GMT. Low power should be no problem, although AM and low power can be a tough combination.

2200 to 0200 works here in the east too, at least during the summer and early autumn.  This is arguably also the time when most of us are able to turn on our radios to listen.
During early winter, 2 or 3 hours earlier will likely work better on the east side of North America (maybe even earlier for the Northeast).
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.