We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Softrock Ensemble II Rx?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Cesium

• Arkansas, USA
  • I'm Radioactive.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Softrock Ensemble II Rx?
« on: September 04, 2013, 2003 UTC »
      So I should have one of these kits in the mailbox tommorrow.  My only sdr experience is a RTL dongle and while fun to mess with I immediately wanted HF.  A few dollars more than a converter for the RTL you can get the Softrock kit.  

Anyone ever built one of these?  This will be the most complex kit I have ever tried my hand at building.
Winding the coils is what scares me since I have never messed with them before.  I will probly wind up with a pile of junk by the time I finish... but you never know.  

From the ones on websdr and youtube they seem to work pretty good if you have a decent soundcard.  Guess I'll find out soon.  Here's to the smell of solder and fiddly parts.

Update

....  2 days later and it's up and running.  It wasn't too bad to build but winding coils isn't the most fun I have ever had and had soldering smd's was a challenge.   Quite impressed for a sub $100 unit.   
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 1440 UTC by Cesium »
Arkansas, USA
All reports are local reception unless otherwise noted.

Pls eQSL cesiumhf@gmail.com