We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: a new dog walking frequency 3:00 utc 9/13/2013  (Read 3269 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
a new dog walking frequency 3:00 utc 9/13/2013
« on: September 13, 2013, 1308 UTC »
I usually stick to several known English language services while I walk the hound at 3:00z. Although I spin through the pirate band first & also check the 20 meter ham band most nights ( I am still as amazed by some of the DX I hear on 20mtrs as I was at 10 years old when I first tuned a shortwave radio). my regulars are

Turkey on 9515
Romania on 7350 & 9645
Australia on 15515  15240  15160 & others
New Zealand on 15720
Iran on 13650   15470
BBC on  15365
Vietnam (via South Carolina)  6175

Last night I added a  new English service

Radio Vatican   7260  via Madagascar  I don't see this one listed in Aoki or sw skeds but I'm sure it was them. Much talk about what a cool guy the new pope is & about church attempts to reach "the youth"
I found this one listed in  http://www.mwlist.org/

I often don't do a real bandscan while I'm with the dog because my hands are full with the dog in one hand & the radio in the other. I have lately tried bandscanning & checking unknown freqs via mwlist.org on my "not so smart" phone. Of all the different aspects of the radio hobby that I am into, this is by far my favorite one. I really like finding & ID'ing stations with a "barefoot" portable as we walk along. I get a lot of funny looks from people as I'm doing this & have actually been stopped twice by cops. Both times they thought I was walking at 10:30 PM with a fishing rod (the extended antenna on the ATS909x) in my hand. I didn't realize there was an ordinance against walking with a fishing rod, but what the hell do I know? One of the times they really seemed freaked out & put me face down on the ground & cuffed me until they figured things out. The other time was just last week & it happened as I was trying to copy an ID from a guy on 20 meters...of course the guy was gone when the cop was done harassing me.

KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: a new dog walking frequency 3:00 utc 9/13/2013
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 1331 UTC »
I didn't realize there was an ordinance against walking with a fishing rod, but what the hell do I know?

Seriously? So the only way to go fishing is to drive/bike to the water? Your cops seem to be rather unstable. Could run a wire down the leash to the dog. Or, carry a helium filled balloon with #26 wire going up the string (unless walking with a balloon is illegal too). Or continue as you are as a free citizen.

In case that free citizen thing doesn't pan out, tune into The Voice of Korea for their English service (0400-0500Z) on 15180, 13760, and 11710. Thoughts & music from Dear Leader are certainly inspiring.

Minneapolis, MN

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 2302 UTC »
I would love to see that ordinance. PM me with the law if you want so I can add it to many fail blogs :D

Peace!

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 2334 UTC »
Found the KCMO municipal regs. Looked through the likely sections and didn't see it. However- That doesn't mean that its not buried in some irrelevant section, or its covered by county or state law. Or the cop could've made it up. And I'm not going to go looking through every KCMO code for it. If the cops bring it up again, simply ask for the number. Surely that isn't being disharmonious. Isn't that why they write these things down?
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10156

However, cmradio, I did find something a little odd that you may consider for your blog. Not as good as the fishing pole, but stupid (and might I say very dangerous for wheelbarrows, tricycles, and handcarts).  Not to pick on KCMO with this, I live near Minneapolis and I think you could find a lot of "good" material in Mpls' code.  ;D 

Sec. 64-248. Pushing wheelbarrow or handcart on sidewalk.
No person shall trundle or cause to be trundled any wheelbarrow or handcart in or upon any sidewalk

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10156/level3/PTIICOOR_CH50OFMIPR_ARTIVOFAGPR.html#PTIICOOR_CH50OFMIPR_ARTIVOFAGPR_S50-123PLBIWHOTVEPABO
Sec. 50-123. Placing bicycle, wheelbarrow or other vehicle on parks or boulevards.

No velocipede, bicycle, tricycle, wheelbarrow, handcart or other vehicle shall be placed by the owner or any other person in charge or control thereof, or be permitted by such person, upon sidewalks, curbstones, grass plots or planting space of any park, boulevard, parkway, avenue, street or park road.
Minneapolis, MN

cmradio

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 0155 UTC »
I'm picturing some poor toddler being taken down by SWAT for riding his tricycle :-\

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 0244 UTC »
if I had a toddler, sure wouldn't allow 'em riding a tricycle in the street. But then, I would also care about the child.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline SingleSideburn

• If I'm A Communist What Are You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 0943 UTC »
I rode one of those velocipedes once.

I gave her the gas, and you know what?

I don't know either, but it was awful, I hurt myself.

That's how I got all those scratches on my face.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 0954 UTC by SingleSideburn »
north Alabama, but you're not supposed to know, heh
Drake R8B + horizontal loop

cmradio

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 0046 UTC »
if I had a toddler, sure wouldn't allow 'em riding a tricycle in the street. But then, I would also care about the child.

Wasn't talking about the street :P

....upon sidewalks....

Peace!