We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Wayne Green  (Read 3591 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Wayne Green
« on: September 15, 2013, 1130 UTC »
W2NSD  (Sept 3, 1922 - Sept 13, 2013)

http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/news.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
Re: Wayne Green
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 1616 UTC »
Damn. Double damn.
I loved the guy, although I never met him. I picked my Ham call in honor of him.
First Tom Kneitel, now Wayne Greene. Ham radio is rapidly running out of cool old people and leaving us with the various poindexters and four eyes that populate the bands now.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 1836 UTC »
I thought he died a number of years ago. RIP Wayne.

Poindexter? I think you might have to ban JR, Chris. He used Al's actual last name in the forums.

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 1846 UTC »
But I know of what I speak; I'm a four eyes...
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 0022 UTC »
R.I.P. Wayne.  Your sense of adventure, irreverence and spunk was a real breath of fresh air for  the young radio amateur back in the day.  Thanks for leading the charge and for imparting the spirit of what amateur radio can be - unshackled...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 0059 UTC »
Smooth move, Ex-Lax. If you wouldn't have spoken up, no one would have known.

Blabbermouth.

Poindexter? I think you might have to ban JR, Chris. He used Al's actual last name in the forums.

cmradio

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 0229 UTC »
Ah shit :'(

I credit him with getting me into electronics as a kid.

RIP!

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 1524 UTC »
I met him once at one of the New England ham radio flea markets. I think Deerfield or Rochester. He had a table set up for recruiting new hams and to sell books or magazines. He virtually wouldn't let me past his table, because I was younger, and he was really into getting younger hams into the hobby. But, I already had my ticket. I think he did lecture me on trying to use more CW though. We chatted for a while, and he seemed like a decent guy.

I seem to remember the 14.313 crew had an axe to grind with Wayne for some years.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 1606 UTC »

Blabbermouth.

Is that really your surname, Al?

I met him once at one of the New England ham radio flea markets. I think Deerfield or Rochester. He had a table set up for recruiting new hams and to sell books or magazines. He virtually wouldn't let me past his table, because I was younger, and he was really into getting younger hams into the hobby. But, I already had my ticket. I think he did lecture me on trying to use more CW though. We chatted for a while, and he seemed like a decent guy.

I seem to remember the 14.313 crew had an axe to grind with Wayne for some years.

What was the cause of that?
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Wayne Green
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 2321 UTC »

What was the cause of that?

With the 313 crowd there really does not need to be a reason.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Fansome

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 0322 UTC »
I suppose that it can't make things any worse to admit it, now that the cat is out of the bag, but yes, that's my surname. I say it loud and proud.

Blabbermouth.

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 1414 UTC »
I suppose that it can't make things any worse to admit it, now that the cat is out of the bag, but yes, that's my surname. I say it loud and proud.

Blabbermouth.

Al "Fansome" Poindexter... Sounds quite awesome if you type it like that
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 1839 UTC »
Don't be modest, Al.  You're the 24th Earl Poindexter, Lord of the Manor of Poindexter, Fansome Hall.

Wackypaedia says "Poindexter is a semi-submerged rock formation in the Scilly Islands. The current Fansome Hall is a shipping container grounded on Poindexter in 1972."  Al can give you the actual details.