We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Remake of "Videodrome"  (Read 1998 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Remake of "Videodrome"
« on: September 15, 2013, 2337 UTC »
Yet another sort-of radio related topic.
If any of you know what this classic sci-fi is about, you'll remember it was about a "pirate" T.V signal that made a person who watched grow a brain tumor and led to hallucinations ( that were extremley graphic). Well, I just watched it last night again- and found out that a remake of this is the works. Now, in my opinion, I think it'll be near immpossible to re-create this Cronenburg classic. But, What do you think? And is it possible for said signals to actually harm a person?
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
Re: Remake of "Videodrome"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 0009 UTC »
Yeah, I remember that one.  Wasn't the "pirate" UHF station from Pittsburgh?  If I remember correctly the station was operated by an evil corporation that was using the effect in an attempt to control people.  I would imagine that with today's computer animation it would be kid stuff to make a do-over.  However, Debbie Harry is certainly not looking as good as she did back then...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline atrainradio

• Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 0013 UTC »
Agreed, but she lost weight and is touring with Blondie still- I'm going to see them soon. I don't think she could pull it off though, playing Nikki Brand though. Especially having to say "Come to Nikki" like that in a seductive voice and all. It'd actually be pretty funny hahah having a 68 year old play the part of 20 something yeard old girl.

Offline atrainradio

• Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 0014 UTC »
And yea, at first they thought it was from Malasyia but they discovered it was from pittsburg- ( how could they screw it up that much lol)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 0515 UTC »
Debbie was smoking hot in that movie and James Woods played the part of the guy cracking up to the hilt.

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 1843 UTC »
And yea, at first they thought it was from Malasyia but they discovered it was from pittsburg- ( how could they screw it up that much lol)

Ya, the tech guy who discovered the pirate signal was the same guy working the resonator transmitter in 'From Beyond'.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline SingleSideburn

• If I'm A Communist What Are You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 2021 UTC »
The White House was a lot like Videodrome.

There's some stuff in there you're not allowed to see, unless you got the clearance.

By the way, Donald Rumsfeld had a lot in common with Brian O'blivion,

he only existed inside of a TV set, on VHS tapes.

(The doctor said that stuff on my face is rosacea, said it would go away pretty soon)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 2026 UTC by SingleSideburn »
north Alabama, but you're not supposed to know, heh
Drake R8B + horizontal loop

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns