We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sun Mysteriously Goes All Quiet Just When Its Activity Should Be Highest  (Read 3295 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Almost every measure of solar activity flatlined over the weekend. The event, though not unprecedented, is odd considering that our local star has just passed what is supposed to be the peak of its solar cycle, when activity is at its highest.  “It really underscores this solar cycle playing out as being pretty benign,” said Robert Rutledge, lead of the forecast office at the NOAA/National Weather Service Space Weather Prediction Center. “This has been by any measure a really pretty quiet cycle, and I think we shouldn’t expect the second half to be any different.”

The sun goes through a natural 11-year variation called the solar cycle. Periods of high activity generally coincide with increased numbers of sunspots and energetic bursts such as flares and coronal mass ejections. Before it started, scientists’ predictions for this solar cycle ranged from very eventful to rather lackluster. 

“Quite frankly, we’re not very good at solar cycle predictions,” said Rutledge. 

Full article: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/09/sun-all-quiet/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 1726 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline SingleSideburn

• If I'm A Communist What Are You
    • View Profile
The sun may have just suffered a major heart attack.

I have some friends here in Texas who have gone through the same type thing as the sun just did--flatlined.

The sun really needs to go on a diet as soon as possible, along with a good exercise program (besides just spinning like a top).

Its weight is really out of control. In spite of all the coronal mass ejections we keep hearing about.

All I see is a lot of flab. But heck, it's still hot as heck down here in Dallas, heh.
north Alabama, but you're not supposed to know, heh
Drake R8B + horizontal loop

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns