We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Has anyone ever been an SCA pirate?  (Read 9009 times)

Offline William Hassig

• DXing Phenomena
  • Mt. Prospect, IL 60056 USA
    • MSN Messenger - williamhassig@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Has anyone ever been an SCA pirate?
« on: September 30, 2013, 0051 UTC »
Has anybody ever put an FM transmitter in their car, put their recorded program onto an FM subcarrier of either 67 or 92 kHz, put the subcarrier into the FM transmitter, parked outside of a place of business such as a fast food place and heard their program on the loudspeakers in the place of business? I had thought of doing that but never got around to doing it. Now of course it's too late because background music has gone to satellite, cable and internet delivery.
Drake R8, Kenwood R-2000, Panasonic RF-4900, Sony 2010, Realistic DX440, Grundig Satellit 500, 7mhz backyard dipole, Mt Prospect, IL 20miles (32km) NW of downtown Chicago. I have been using online receivers because of strong data hash interference in my neighborhood that I believe is caused by Uverse squeezing up to 100mb/sec through ordinary pairs of wires. I don't have Uverse but neighbors do. williamhassig@yahoo.com

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever been an SCA pirate?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 1933 UTC »
LOL 

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 2144 UTC »
Interesting idea.

Reminds me of a time when a buddy and I sat outside a restaurant and was yapping on the CB for another 10 minutes telling dirty jokes before going in. When we went in, we got applause and chuckles. Seems we came over the restaurant's radio/PA system and everybody heard everything! :o :-[ ;D

Peace!

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 1816 UTC »
I ran full-blown RDS on my old FM pirates....does that count  8)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 2009 UTC »
Hell, I had a hard enough time just keeping the stereo pilot going - back in those wonderful days of discretes...   ???
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

cmradio

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 2307 UTC »
Hell, I had a hard enough time just keeping the stereo pilot going...

You made me spill my coffee, LOL! :D :D :D

Offline William Hassig

• DXing Phenomena
  • Mt. Prospect, IL 60056 USA
    • MSN Messenger - williamhassig@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 0207 UTC »
@cmradio, years ago I went to see a movie Back when movie sound was still analog optical and somebody driving past said "breaker one nine etc" and we all laughed because it was more interesting than the movie.
Drake R8, Kenwood R-2000, Panasonic RF-4900, Sony 2010, Realistic DX440, Grundig Satellit 500, 7mhz backyard dipole, Mt Prospect, IL 20miles (32km) NW of downtown Chicago. I have been using online receivers because of strong data hash interference in my neighborhood that I believe is caused by Uverse squeezing up to 100mb/sec through ordinary pairs of wires. I don't have Uverse but neighbors do. williamhassig@yahoo.com

Offline Captainenema

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 1317 UTC »
Back in 2004, in Alabama, the place I worked issued us those GRMS (i think..) band handhelds. There were a few fast food places that used similar models and the fun I had with them. One of them, a hardees, got so familiar with my voice that the one time I actually got desperate enough to eat there I got a bunch of odd looks from the girl in drive thru window.

Offline XmasScotty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 2350 UTC »
I ran full-blown RDS on my old FM pirates....does that count  8)

+-RH

Back in the early 90's, I had a really dirty linear on my 2950, and we shut down the drive thru at the local McD's when we keyed up.

Xmas

Offline Tim Bucknall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 1554 UTC »
Is it possible to buy a minitx with sca so i can experimental with rxing the subcarriers?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 1937 UTC »
My wife bought the usual "no-name" baby monitors at a now late K-Mart store. We were two blocks back of the main drag, with a Wendy's, a Long John Silvers, a Taco Bell within rock throwing distance on the main road, and two old ladies at opposite ends of
the block my house sat on with VHF x-ceivers . All those old girls did was gab most of their waking hours.

The kid had conked out, so I put her down for nap. I threw a reflexive, "I love you" at the snoozing kid and the yapping from the girls stopped. After five seconds or so they started up again with "That man said he loved you!" There was quite a bit of speculation about who it was, until they settled on the old ham across the street and up the block. There was much discussion on whether they should tell his wife or not, when one said, "I'm not causing a divorce and getting labelled a home wrecker the rest of my life!" Then it was back to yapping.

Matt285

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 0038 UTC »
SCA pirating? Interesting. I definitely listened to my fair share of cordless phones and baby monitors as a minor.... Well not me.... Im posting for a friend. He was totally into into. What an intrusion of privacy. Knowing what all your neighbors are up to and their deep personal matters. Repulsive.