We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Northern Spy Lifts Cloak on Koreas’ Deadly Rivalry  (Read 1169 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Northern Spy Lifts Cloak on Koreas’ Deadly Rivalry
« on: October 02, 2013, 1019 UTC »

In May 1990, he and a colleague left the port of Nampo aboard a vessel disguised as a Japanese fishing boat, stopping in China to pick up supplies from a North Korean cargo ship before entering international waters. There, the agents set off in a submersible to the South Korean island of Jeju.

The pair operated in the South for the next five months, sending coded reports to Pyongyang, using radios hidden in a mountain by earlier agents. At midnight, an announcer on Pyongyang Radio would read their handlers’ instructions in a series of five-digit numbers. Mr. Kim and his bosses used the text of a popular South Korean novel to decipher one another’s messages.

In October, the two agents returned to Pyongyang by submersible, carrying with them one of the two South Korean dissidents they had recruited as spies, whiskey and wristwatches as gifts for their bosses, and far more precious cargo, a North Korean woman who had operated as an agent in the South for 10 years.

Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/world/asia/northern-spy-lifts-cloak-on-koreas-deadly-rivalry.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Spy Lifts Cloak on Koreas’ Deadly Rivalry
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 1523 UTC »
Thanks Chris.

That was an interesting read!
K5KNT

Offline SingleSideburn

• If I'm A Communist What Are You
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Spy Lifts Cloak on Koreas’ Deadly Rivalry
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 1625 UTC »
Was the North Korean woman hot?

It said she was, "...far more precious cargo..."

Uh, I mean, more precious than moonshine and Timexes?

or, better than, uh, Wild Turkey and Rolexes?

I don't believe stories that lack essential details.

My gal is more valuable than a calculator watch and some Four Roses, she's that hot.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 1637 UTC by SingleSideburn »
north Alabama, but you're not supposed to know, heh
Drake R8B + horizontal loop