We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HM01 (?) 11633 KHz AM copied ~0830  (Read 2828 times)

Offline radio_cosmo

• View Profile
HM01 (?) 11633 KHz AM copied ~0830
« on: October 12, 2013, 0918 UTC »
Stumbled on HM01 in mid transmission - very strong signal voice/digital transmission S9+
73's from Chicago IL
Racal 6790/GM, Hammarlund SP600, Motorola R390A, Racal 6793, Icom 7300
qsl contact aa9il.radio@gmail.com

Offline ssfahrer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM01 (?) 11633 KHz AM copied ~0830
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 2334 UTC »
Could it have been on 11635 (which according to http://www.qsl.net/py4zbz/eni.htm has been used at 18 and 21 UTC by the Cuban Lady numbers station, so this frequency would simply be a mistimed use of what should have been 9065)? Or should 11635 in those listings actually be 11633 KHz?

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 0328 UTC »
The frequency is 11635 kHz.  However, when a person tunes in an AM transmission in a receiver in AM mode it is often very hard to tell the exact frequency.  In fact, often you can end up thinking the frequency is something it is not because the audio can appear to peak up by ear on a slightly off tuned freq.  When listening to an AM signal the best way to confirm you are tuned to the correct frequency is to switch from AM to USB, and then to LSB.  If you are properly tuned there will be little or no change in the pitch of the audio as you switch.  Of course if you do not have seperate USB and LSB switch positions this is not an option.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline ssfahrer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 1942 UTC »
And if you don't have a digital readout you have to rely on what others have posted to actually BE the frequency (as I do)....

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 1526 UTC »
... When listening to an AM signal the best way to confirm you are tuned to the correct frequency is to switch from AM to USB, and then to LSB.  If you are properly tuned there will be little or no change in the pitch of the audio as you switch.  Of course if you do not have seperate USB and LSB switch positions this is not an option.

T!

Another great tip that I'm adding to my notebook, thanks Token!
K5KNT

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 0028 UTC »
And if you don't have a digital readout you have to rely on what others have posted to actually BE the frequency (as I do)....

It was not all that long ago no one had digital readouts, and it was still possible to get accurate frequencies.  You can get accurate frequencies using any radio, even one without a frequency dial, it just takes thought, and the application of old school methods.

Look into something like a BC-221 or an LM-24.  Either can be had for $40 or less and can tell you your tuned freq to within a couple hundred Hz, used with any radio.  And besides, they are kind of cool to use, giving it all a “real radio” feel in my opinion.  Even today, when I mostly use SDRs, I like to break out the old tube stuff from time to time, say the SP-600 or the SX-28, and a LM-18 or a BC-221Q almost always gets used with them.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA