We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ICOM 718 Pirate Friendly??  (Read 2338 times)

Offline bryan24230

• View Profile
    • Email
ICOM 718 Pirate Friendly??
« on: August 10, 2009, 0723 UTC »
got a Icom 718 HF all band transceiver, ok here is the deal, It will broadcast on 6925 USB ??? and according to the manual and Icoms website its not suppose to be able to broad cast anywhere near there.

Ive just passed my armature tests for general class so ive not actually transmited into anything but a dummy load so I could test the rig out.
needless to say I almost pissed my pants when I noticed it actuall put out full power at that frequency, now other frequency's like the CB band around 27 mhz that its not suppose to transmit at it didnt, rig told me to kiss off, it simply refused to TX

so im sorta at a loss as to why it would transmit at 6925 when its not suppose to??? I know you can mod this rig to transmit on any freq with the removal of like 3 surface mount diodes but that would make it transmit on ANY of the HF which it dose not.

the radio is brand new, im the 1st owner, is this normal for this rig or have I got a "Special" unit somehow LOL

Brian

Offline Seamus

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ICOM 718 Pirate Friendly??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 0118 UTC »
That's normal - My IC-718 (about 8 years old, now) does the same thing.  Discovered that one accidentally while tinkering around with some new digital mode software while listening to a pirate one evening.  I forgot that my interface box was still set to enable keying, and accidentally blurted out a bit of digimode when I hit the wrong button.

Yup.  The 718 will do that.

Offline cpuerror

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 0352 UTC »
Mine is about 1 year old and will key on that freq as well. Not sure if it is an oversight or perhaps someone at Icom likes pirate radio.

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 1108 UTC »
It's a MARS capable radio, factory unlocked if it was for export.

Peace!

Fansome

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 1541 UTC »
There was talk, a number of years ago, of moving the 40 meter ham band down into that range. It never happened, but supposedly some radio manufacturers started making their radios capable at what would have been the new 40 meter band.