We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New Antenna - beacons heard!  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Seamus

• View Profile
    • Email
New Antenna - beacons heard!
« on: August 15, 2009, 0500 UTC »
Having just moved into a new QTH (upstate SC), I have been installing a new antenna: 400 feet of wire, about 40 feet up into the trees.  Hooked it up today to test it out, and WOW!  I'm like a kid in a candy store (or a ham in a radio store), amazed at every new signal this thing pulls in.  Spinning the knob and fishing for some beacons tonight, I found:

Pike 78 (pretty sure that's the one), MO, OK, and - just barely peeking through the noise - A. 
A has been in and out a bit as I type this, but it's sort of making the trip, so I'll include it in the bunch.

beaconman

Re: New Antenna - beacons heard!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 1725 UTC »
Boy your doing well...
do you actually hear them with your ear of does a computer
hear them?

The Pike 78
has a unique signature which is relected
on the screen...very cool...

Offline Seamus

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Antenna - beacons heard!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 0422 UTC »
They're mostly buried down in the noise, but I'm making them out by ear after a minute or two of listening (and knowing what to expect at a given frequency, thanks to the "cheat sheet" on the website).  The computer's analyzer helps a lot with locating them, as I can see that they're there visually before I can actually make sense of what I'm hearing down in the hash.  I may think that I hear a beep or two around a spot on the dial where I expect to find something, but looking at the waterfall gives me an idea of what that frequency has been doing over the last few seconds, so I can spot trends better and figure out if there's really a beacon down in all that mud, or if it's just my ears playing tricks on me.

I'm new at this whole low-power beacon thing, so I figure it's just training for hunting entirely by ear later on.