We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Enciclopedia with Radio Rebelde 530 khz AM 5:10 utc Nov 21 '13  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've been receiving two decent signals on 530 khz AM the past week.

As per Chanter's suggestions last May 8th I have been able to ID Radio Rebelde by checking their broadcast on 5025 khz.

Radio Rebelde is usually the weaker signal at my QTH but some nights they trade places with each other.

I've  learned that what I used to think was CIAO is instead a UNID (for me) Cuban station.

I'm listening tonight and it is the same female announcer with the wonderful voice playing laid back (elevator) instrumental music.
Both station are audible tonight but the unid is as usual dominant. Unfortunately I do not speak Spanish.
I did pick out a few words of an station ID on a recording I have from the 19th. " Transmitting ? ? ? Radio Music ? ? Havana Cuba"

Here is a DDC waterfall capture from the 19th when the UNID was very strong and the only station I could hear on 530.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 0220 UTC by Rockpicker »
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: UNID with Radio Rebelde 530 khz AM 5:10 utc Nov 21 '13
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 1300 UTC »
530 has many part 15 stations on it, and also some pirates. I'm not saying that that is what you caught, but could help you out sinc eits hard to ID 15's and pirates. I've caught 2 pirates on 530 before ( voice of elmer (a town south of me by 30 miles) and somebody re-transmitting the local noaa weather radio).
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 0130 UTC »
I've  learned that what I used to think was CIAO is instead a UNID (for me) Cuban station.

The elevator music, this would be Radio Enciclopedia, also from Cuba.

530 has many part 15 stations on it, and also some pirates. I'm not saying that that is what you caught, but could help you out sinc eits hard to ID 15's and pirates. I've caught 2 pirates on 530 before ( voice of elmer (a town south of me by 30 miles) and somebody re-transmitting the local noaa weather radio).

As for the NOAA relay, it's not unusual for licensed TIS/HAR stations to rebroadcast NOAA weather radio, so I'm guessing that wasn't a pirate that you heard.  On the other hand, I'd like to learn more about this "Voice of Elmer"!  I have yet to catch anything unusual on 530 myself, but then again I haven't paid much attention to the frequency since it's usually dominated here by CIAO.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 0219 UTC »
Thanks a bunch Kilokat,

I looked up Radio Enciclopedia online and found their audio feed.
The signal on 530 is weak tonight but the music playing did match what was on the internet feed.
Out of sync but a definite match! I'm also hearing bits of Rebelde pop up tonight as well.

http://www.radioenciclopedia.cu/audio-real/
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Enciclopedia with Radio Rebelde 530 khz AM 5:10 utc Nov 21 '13
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 1304 UTC »
Voice of Elmer hasn't appeared in 8 months (according to my radio log-book). I'd love to let you know when they're on again- but I suspect its very low poweed because the signal was only an S4 and elmer, New Jersey is just about 30 miles south of me. That's gonna be a HUGE challenge for you, but I'm sure your all but willing to accept it!!
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Enciclopedia with Radio Rebelde 530 khz AM 5:10 utc Nov 21 '13
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 0426 UTC »
FWIW, when traveling along the gulf states, Radio Encyclopedia can be heard pretty much every night on a car radio.  I still check it out when traveling around.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me