We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SSTV 27700u 11/23/13  (Read 4171 times)

Offline thechoat

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Email
SSTV 27700u 11/23/13
« on: November 23, 2013, 1541 UTC »
Caught a few sstv images this morning still hearing a few stations in there

Oklahoma
qsl to streetracerlx at gmail.com
Afedri SDR or Icom 746, home made OCF dipole

Capt. Radio

Re: SSTV 27700u 11/23/13
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 1700 UTC »
thechoat,

Do you hear the same QRM from off-channel ssb conversations that I get here in Indiana, when tuned to 27700? Evey day it's about the same... really causes grief with the pics.

One of your pics from the view at this location...

propagation differences again.

Offline thechoat

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 0007 UTC »
Cool pic Capt! Yes i usually have some qso's from just above 27700U.I think they are usually on 27705L so there isnt a whole lot of room between them.Filters help a lot ive been using an sdr so ive can notch out most of it but i cant get all of it out.
Oklahoma

Capt. Radio

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 0103 UTC »

O.K. on you getting the same QRM. Yep, I noticed they were on LSB which doesn't help our cause any.

On the filters... if I was using a ham rig that had a tighter SSB filter, or IF shift, I could probably get better pics.

SDR... I know very little about it, but I see lots of info on it here on the forum. What little I have read, it sounds like it's the "future" of our hobby.

Offline thechoat

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 0358 UTC »
I just got mine about a month ago and im still figuring out tricks it can do.Its an Afedri-sdr,im amazed at what you can do with them.
Oklahoma

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 1140 UTC »

One of your pics from the view at this location...

That appears to be Columbia on the back there. Its not Enterprise as Enterprise never had that black trim on the forward tail area.
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Capt. Radio

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 1844 UTC »

Echo_One,

Just curious... Do you have an interest in the space program, and keep up with the technical side of it?

I never noticed the shuttles' outward appearance changed over the years. I guess I didn't look close enough.

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 2054 UTC »

Echo_One,

Just curious... Do you have an interest in the space program, and keep up with the technical side of it?

I never noticed the shuttles' outward appearance changed over the years. I guess I didn't look close enough.

Oh, very much so... I remember watching Columbia coming down, the return to flights and the final landing of the Shuttle. You can sometimes tell the shuttles apart from each other as they tweaked the design a little during builds. Endeavour, for example is the lightest and was built to replace Challenger.

Funny story - US Congress only gave NASA enough money and authorisation to fly missions up to STS 134. Nasa told Congress exactly where to stick that idea and launched Atlantis on STS 135.

EDIT:

Actually, I myself was fooled by the picture. I originally thought it was Columbia, but now believe it to be the Buran - the Russian version. Even the best get it wrong! Judging from the lack of scorching and thermal tile damage (which she took a lot of during her only orbit ops period), I am assuming that this was taken either at the factory or upon arrival at the launch site.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/russia-s-lost-space-shuttle-clone

scroll down to second picture

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 2126 UTC by Echo_One »

reportecho1@gmail.com

Capt. Radio

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 2226 UTC »

It does look like you've been following the missions for quite a while!

As far as the "tweaking" of the design, I should be able to enter the name of the different shuttles in a search engine/ image search and see the changes you are refering to. The Endeavor should be a bit smaller, if you say it is lighter, or they just found ways to cut weight inside the craft.

That is an interesting story about Congress and the agency. It makes you wonder "which is the dog and which one is the tail", so to speak.   ;)

On the Buran, I guess I never paid close enough attention to know that Russia had a very similar craft to ours. If we didn't know better, the very close similarity would indicate that there is a lot of technical co-operation going on, even during the "cold war".  ;)

You were not provided the best picture to make your assessment with. I'm sure you would have picked up on the details if the pic was better. Yes, the link you provided shows the very same picture sent via sstv.

Thanks for adding some interesting details to this topic.  :)     

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 0026 UTC »
No problem - glad to be of service.

You know whereto find me if you need help

reportecho1@gmail.com