We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Does anyone use the: MFJ 959C Tuner / Preamp or the MFJ 1026 1025 Noise Reducer?  (Read 5543 times)

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
I was wondering if any listeners out there use these products, and what success you have had with either. I've checked with eHam and other reviews and they both seem to do the job. I already use the MFK 956 for the Kenwood 1000. I used to have the older model of Preamp / tuner by MFJ in the 80's, but remembered it did little but jack up the noise floor. Been stealthing on eBay but don't want to buy both. I use a 30" longwire.

Any imput appreciated ;D RCCI
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
I have a MFJ 1026. I do not use it for noise reduction, but rather as a phaser for MW DXing. The principle is the same, it allows you to vary the amplitude and phase of signals from two antennas such that they are equal but 180 degrees out of phase, canceling out the signal in question. For MW DXing, you use it to null out an offending station, to hear what else is on the same frequency, under it. I've had pretty good luck with that.

For noise reduction, you do the same thing, except you are nulling out the QRM source.

Note that you can only null out one signal with it, at best. If you have multiple offending signals on the same frequency, you can only kill one of them. I say one at best because it is always possible that due to the orientation of the antennas, you won't be able to null out a particular station.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Capt. Radio

Not exactly on topic, RCCI, but I found this device while looking around for phasers:

dxtools.com/Phaser.htm   The Quantum Phaser

I have no experience with it, but maybe someone on the forum does. Just wanted to give you another
alternative to look at...

Again, not on topic, but since we're talking about noise reduction, isn't it hard to believe, that in this day and age of
DSP and SDR, that someone can't figure out a way to simply get rid of powerline noise in a receiver? I've never seen an effective noise blanker or ANL. I refuse to believe it can't be done in the RF stages with some effective IC chip or internal to the radio software processing, rather than "after the fact" audio processing.  :(

rdla4

I used a 1026 last year when my neighbor's started generating loads of broadband RF. The 1026 would not result in perfect reception, but it did make the difference between having a hobby or not having it.

Depending on frequency, I found that it could be somewhat "touchy".

The signals I was dealing with were nearly square wave in nature--rich in harmonic content. I could not hear S9 signals, and even strong 30 over signals were tough to listen to. The 1026 would make a strong signal every listenable. S9 signals were pretty good, but much below that, I would run into the noise floor produced by the slop from next door. Fortunately, what ever it was went away suddenly one day, and has not been back.

On 6.9 mHz, it was quite effective in nulling noise. I could hear signals down below S9----but not perfectly. Meanwhile on 9.5mhz, it was not as effective.

Offline hsmith77

• Marconi Class DXer
    • MSN Messenger - h.smith77@charter.net
    • View Profile
    • Email
I use the MFJ 959C. It helps with the really weak signals . I use it with the RF Systems MK2 antenna and sometimes with a attic 66' dipole.
Harry L. Smith
Springfield,Oh.
JRC 535D Perseus SDR   MFJ 959C Tuner /Pre Amp. JRC 545 
RF  Systems MK2 antenna
Grundig G3 / G4000a / 400
QSL to h.smith77@charter .net