We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HM01 on 9330 kHz 29NOV13  (Read 4495 times)

Offline pjennings

• View Profile
    • Email
HM01 on 9330 kHz 29NOV13
« on: November 29, 2013, 0721 UTC »
9330 kHz @ 0700 UTC, recorded in Northeastern Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uteWIJEIiCk

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM01 on 9330 kHz 29NOV13
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 1212 UTC »
Good catch.  Tnx for sharing.

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline ssfahrer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 2244 UTC »
Early this morning (in NYC) I monitored the "Cuban Lady" twice -- first @ 5855 at 05 UT and then 9330 @ 07 UT. Detailed report sent to primetimeshortwave Yahoo group. Copied and pasted below:

The transmitted numbers for today in this order are (drum roll, please):

22574 // 15441 // 50182 // 08444 // 51835 // 83381

Notes from first broadcast at Midnight Eastern (05 UTC @ 5855 or so)-- dual transmissions going on (delayed by approximately 20 seconds or so): in other words, tones still going on while first round of numbers begin, then tones stop while numbers repeated on delay (from second tape loop?) At ~ 0510 UTC, transmission cut off for a few minutes, so I went elsewhere. I picked it up around 0530. By then, the (second) tape loop was off air-- only one transmission at this time. (Is this station transmitting TWICE these numbers at 05 - 06 UTC on what are supposed to be two different frequencies? If so, then we may have been getting the transmission for BOTH frequencies on 5855 [as well as on the unknown frequency?]). AT 0558 transmission cut off in middle of 51835 sequence (after '51') -- as if to change frequencies for their 06 UTC broadcast (which are apparently off band).

Second broadcast @ 07 UT @ 9330 or so -- began with additional dual transmissions in the beginning sequence of 22574 15441 50182 08444 51835 83881 with repeats. By 0724 UT problem eliminated and I went to SLEEP (even DXers need some shuteye!)

OTHER NOTES: the number "tres" (3) was of lower volume (due to a problem with the machine that generates the voice?) than any of the other numbers used in sequences (0 - 2, 4 - 5, and 7 - 8; there were no sixes or nines to check on the volume on those numbers on SW). Does this mean anything special or not? Also, on the 9330 transmission, noticed signal fading quite often (can't be sure if frequency was changing to 9331, or some other number close to 9330 -- frequencies mentioned are being ASSUMED as correct per well-known frequency chart on Internet).

Equipment Used: Hamilton 12 Band World Radio (cheap-- bought from Publishers Clearing House) with attached antenna. Volume turned up to the max to hear the numbers (and translate from Spanish as I go). No ability to record or translate tones to data, etc. Sorry!

After not hearing from 'the Cuban Lady' for a few days, we'll see if anything changes over this weekend beginning at midnight Eastern Time on the usual spot on the dial between Pastor Peters (5830- WTWW) and Brother Stair (5890- WWCR).

Perhaps we can figure out what all these numbers and data bursts mean someday -- as the Gallagher Girls (and Ally Carter) would say: "United We Spy".... 73s and a merry DXMAS to all....

ADDITIONAL QUESTION for anyone in this group: Does anyone know (or can compute) the (approximate) transmitter power for this station? My guess is about 20 KW, but I have no real idea....

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 0334 UTC »
ADDITIONAL QUESTION for anyone in this group: Does anyone know (or can compute) the (approximate) transmitter power for this station? My guess is about 20 KW, but I have no real idea....

HM01 uses the Radio Habbana Cuba transmitter facilities, and so runs the same power as R. Habbana.  THis is a good bit more than your guess, it would be 100 kW or more (facilities include 100 and 250 kW transmitters), depending on which facility it is.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline ssfahrer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HM01 on 9330 kHz 29NOV13 and numbers for 12/08/2013 from 9330
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 2023 UTC »
Could they be running lower power than 100 or 250 KW (due to the nature of the transmissions)? Just curious....

Anyhow, to today's news:  Monitoring 5855 at 05 UT today 12/8/2013-- no sign of 'Cuban Lady', so I waited for 07 UT -- and there she was....

The new Cuban numbers sequence is (in this order): 56801 // 22574 // 15441 // 50182 // 08444 // 51835. Note that for some reason, the last number in the sequence was moved to the first position (sort of) and changed to 56801. The other five numbers were unchanged from 12/06/13 transmission but moved one position up in the sequence (no signal found on 12/07/13, thus no report). I have no idea if that's a clue to deciphering the transmissions or not, but for all of you who are into those things -- happy deciphering!!!!

Another thought: since 25 =32, could the data transmission be running on a 32 bit file or a 32 bit operating system (as opposed to Windows 7, which can run on a 64 bit system or files)? Continuing my ramble, "A 32-bit file format is a binary file format for which each elementary information is defined on 32 bits (or 4 Bytes). An example of such a format is the Enhanced Metafile Format." -- from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit. Since these metafile formats date from the 1990s (and the voice machines are apparently as old if not older), can 32 bit computers represent the "state of the art" Cuban technology at work???? If so, my wild idea may mean that we might have to look at these number sequences as pixels of a picture which can be viewed by a Microsoft "Graphics Device Interface" as used in Windows XP-- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Device_Interface (but only 6 pixels at a time, since each number represents ONE pixel).

In this regard, perhaps China's call for continuing support for Windows XP (see http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/120313-windows-xp-china-276547.html?hpg1=bn) may ALSO be a proxy for stating that Cuba needs Windows XP to continue in order to presumably continue their HM01 (at least the "M"[orse]  part of their data) transmissions (without actually saying it, since HM01 is an UNOFFICIAL station, after all, Cuba can't just ADMIT TO IT -- can they?????)....

Finally, have the Cubans ever used the number 9 ('nueve' in Spanish) in their transmissions? Or does it sound too close to 'nuevo' (the word NEW) which might lead to confusion upon hearing from far away (since the use of 'new' could be thought of as the spy equivalent of an 'audible' -- in other words, DISREGARD the prior stuff and use ONLY what follows -- which may not be their intent)?

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: HM01 on 9330 kHz 29NOV13 and numbers for 12/08/2013 from 9330
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 0058 UTC »
Could they be running lower power than 100 or 250 KW (due to the nature of the transmissions)? Just curious....

I am sure they could, but why would they?  And what would make you think they might?

Another thought: since 25 =32, could the data transmission be running on a 32 bit file or a 32 bit operating system (as opposed to Windows 7, which can run on a 64 bit system or files)? Continuing my ramble, "A 32-bit file format is a binary file format for which each elementary information is defined on 32 bits (or 4 Bytes). An example of such a format is the Enhanced Metafile Format." -- from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit. Since these metafile formats date from the 1990s (and the voice machines are apparently as old if not older), can 32 bit computers represent the "state of the art" Cuban technology at work???? If so, my wild idea may mean that we might have to look at these number sequences as pixels of a picture which can be viewed by a Microsoft "Graphics Device Interface" as used in Windows XP-- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Device_Interface (but only 6 pixels at a time, since each number represents ONE pixel).

In this regard, perhaps China's call for continuing support for Windows XP (see http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/120313-windows-xp-china-276547.html?hpg1=bn) may ALSO be a proxy for stating that Cuba needs Windows XP to continue in order to presumably continue their HM01 (at least the "M"[orse]  part of their data) transmissions (without actually saying it, since HM01 is an UNOFFICIAL station, after all, Cuba can't just ADMIT TO IT -- can they?????)....

Finally, have the Cubans ever used the number 9 ('nueve' in Spanish) in their transmissions? Or does it sound too close to 'nuevo' (the word NEW) which might lead to confusion upon hearing from far away (since the use of 'new' could be thought of as the spy equivalent of an 'audible' -- in other words, DISREGARD the prior stuff and use ONLY what follows -- which may not be their intent)?

Not sure what you are getting at with the 32 bit comments.  The file format really does not need to have anything to do with the OS or CPU depth.

Also not sure what you mean by the Morse portion of their data?  There is no Morse in an HM01 transmission.  Only voice and RDFT data.  The “M” does not stand for Morse.

And yes, the Cubans have used 9 in some transmissions, but not very often.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline 4405486

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 0329 UTC »
     I am trying to come up to speed in so far as possible regarding these digital modes.

I assume most people have seen the article: "Cuban Numbers Station in HM01 mode" by: PY4ZBZ the Author of DIGTRX . I found it interesting and insightful. Seems to me the emphasis on error correction and the Authors conclusion that each file is transmitted 10 times in less than an hour is suggestive of Cypher Text, the need for accuracy, and genuine traffic as opposed to bogus? Seems like a awful lot of error correction just to compensate for radio propagation conditions.

These RDFT modes consist basicly of 8 PSK carriers. Some may want to read: "DIGTRX  What you see is what you get! Review by Bruce Jones VK4EHT". It occurs to me the adjustable "redundancy" feature inherent in RDFT is what is designed primarily to deal with propagation noise, distortion etc.

Finally, one last bit of background information I found interesting was the relatively recent Washington Post article: "Ana Montes did much harm spying for Cuba. Chances are, you haven't heard of her." It can be found as a reference on Wikipedia's Ana Montes article. Montes Sister and brother etc. worked for the FBI and still do.