We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 28mhz Aircraft Bcn "A, N" info needed  (Read 1781 times)

Offline n6spp

• San Francisco Bay Area
    • View Profile
28mhz Aircraft Bcn "A, N" info needed
« on: November 30, 2013, 2008 UTC »
Hello group-

About ten yrs ago I read an article about an old beaconing system that small planes used for landing.

The letters "A" and "N" were transmitted at about 5 wpm consistently at a few watts with the transmitter and antenna located near the runway.

Miles from a runway, the pilot (using the plane's rdf antenna?) would hear the letter A ( . _ ) and adjust coarse until it heard the letter N  ( _ .) also.

Flying straight at the tx antenna the A and N would "mix" together to produce a single long " __ " and the pilot new he was on coarse.

I copied one of these stns on 28mhz a few times from N.Calif years ago. I think it was from the midwest according to the article.  I can't find any info on this.. I believe Youtube had a clip on it at one time too.

Does anyone have info on this old 10m beacon system.

thanks, Eric
Weak Signal and multi-modes, LF-VHF
~Favorite band 10m~

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: 28mhz Aircraft Bcn "A, N" info needed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 2038 UTC »
There's one on 30m. Heard it a few years ago:
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?328169-10-126-WA4SZE-B-(Wider-than-a-pure-single-CW-note-)

Apparently there is some fuss over this beacon. I'll leave it the reader to research further.

Explanation of the old A & N system on the LW spectrum:
http://www.vias.org/basicradio/basic_radio_35_08.html

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 2049 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline n6spp

• San Francisco Bay Area
    • View Profile
Re: 28mhz Aircraft Bcn "A, N" info needed
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 2051 UTC »
Thnx skeezix for the info.
Weak Signal and multi-modes, LF-VHF
~Favorite band 10m~