We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: tube radio recomendmendations  (Read 9068 times)

Offline Dr. Strangelove

• DXing Phenomena
  • Northwest Alabama
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: tube radio recomendmendations
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 2349 UTC »
What is a fair price for a nice working AR88?  Not a mint one but one that is in ok shape physically and everything working?
R-390a, WJ-8718, Rohde & Schwarz EK07 and EK56, Siemens E311, 51-J4, R8, IC-7610. All reports are from my radios and antennas at my QTH.  Please QSL to morrisgarage770@msn.com   Northwest AL EM64

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 0008 UTC »
Complete and working is usually $200 to $300. Minty is $500 to $600+. Parts sets are $20 to $100. Look inside for alignment tools and the metal covers over the tuning assembly. Both are rare and unobtainable. A working meter is a HUGE plus as there's no easy substitute. Sets that were set up as part of a diversity system  usually had no meter. The large main tuning knob is hard to find, even broken ones are desirable. An AR88 face had engraved lettering and is easy to restore/refinish. A CR91 needs to be silkscreened. Good luck. Leaky oil filled capacitors are possibly PCB contaminated but the jury is out on that one. The voltage selector on the back panel is usually broken from someone resting or dropping the radio on it's back, breaking the selector. All tubes are common. Proper alignment is a pain to perform. These are tough sets. Most I've encountered dead were easy to get going.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline Dr. Strangelove

• DXing Phenomena
  • Northwest Alabama
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 0301 UTC »
The search is on!
R-390a, WJ-8718, Rohde & Schwarz EK07 and EK56, Siemens E311, 51-J4, R8, IC-7610. All reports are from my radios and antennas at my QTH.  Please QSL to morrisgarage770@msn.com   Northwest AL EM64

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 0336 UTC »
A beauty just sold on QTH.com. Check it out under the "antiques" listings.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline Dr. Strangelove

• DXing Phenomena
  • Northwest Alabama
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 0455 UTC »
Damn....just my luck.  Looked really nice too!