We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Re-arranging the FM band  (Read 8737 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re-arranging the FM band
« on: January 03, 2014, 0555 UTC »
To truly apply the 1st amendament
80-85 mHz- free unregulated radio with 250 watts or less
86-92- licenesed non commercial radio at any power
92-108- regular commercial radio

Tell me that couldnt work out somehow...
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

cmradio

Re: Re-arranging the FM band
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 1028 UTC »
Clearchannel wouldn't stand for it. 'Nuff said.

Peace!

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 1047 UTC »
Clearchannel wouldn't stand for it. 'Nuff said.

I hate to say it , but your right.  He who has the gold makes all the rules, ya know...

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 1226 UTC »
Clearchannel wouldn't stand for it. 
This is sounding better and better.  XD 

I like the idea that all the lovely public radio stations get to keep their current assignments, save the handful above 92mHz, in this imagined setup.  So says she in a state with what's been termed a crackerjack setup for public broadcasting.  *biased!* 

Just as a hypothetical, would noncommercial stations on frequencies above 92mHz be allowed to keep their places on the dial?  I'm thinking of a local WPR station on 107.9 here, as well as a certain public radio outlet in Michigan on 104.1 that I can sometimes get from the marshland.  Gotta love E-skip and tropo, eh? 

Curious daydreamer is curious. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

cmradio

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 1338 UTC »
<IMHO>
*sigh*

There are some services that should administrate NAFTA-wide ... our CRTC is one of them :-\
(hahaha, go ahead, try to buy or intimidate them like Bell did.... you'll be fined into the next century ;D )
</IMHO>

Peace!

Offline atrainradio

• Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 1614 UTC »
I know Clear Channel would hate it.They're out to for money, and they've turned the radio into a monopoly of horrible broadcasting. Clear Channel is more like the FCC now. But it'd be sweet to have the set-up here I think. Maybe someday, when the FCC/ Clear Channel aren't as tyrannical, we'll be able to do something like what I imagined.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 0555 UTC »
The biggest travesty that corporate radio has bestowed upon us is that, no matter where you go, all radio markets sound the same.  With the exception of the proliferation of mexican music on AM, most market do sound the same.  It has sterilized and homogenized the dial nationwide.  And unfortunately for them, the listeners won't ever come back.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

cmradio

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 1122 UTC »
The biggest travesty that corporate radio has bestowed upon us is that, no matter where you go, all radio markets sound the same.

Too right!

If it wasn't for CBC here and NPR in the states, all that would be receivable in metropolitan areas is the top 40 Pop and the same Classic Rock hits over and over and over.... >_<

There have been several stations try and break the cycle, but they always go broke :(

Peace!

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 1306 UTC »
The same top 40, classic rock, and either Christian religious adult contemporary (funny how you can tell that genre just by the music, even before the singer starts in, isn't it?) and sportscasters.  Blurgh! 

Thank God for the CBC, NPR, and local community stations.  that's all I'm saying. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 0323 UTC »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-29/clear-channel-burning-cash-to-delay-reckoning-corporate-finance.html

"Clear Channel Communications Inc. is offering to double interest to push out maturities on some of the $4.3 billion it owes, just as the most-leveraged U.S. broadcaster suffers the first cash-flow deficit in four years.

The company said on Nov. 25 that it’s seeking to extend about $1.8 billion of borrowings due in 2016 by three years to five years, which Fitch Ratings estimates would boost interest costs as much as $55 million annually.

While the proposal gives Clear Channel more time to turn around a business that’s posted losses every year after Bain Capital Partners LLC and Thomas H. Lee Partners LP took control in 2008, it also raises the company’s risk of missing interest payments on $20.7 billion of debt, according to Moody’s Investors Service. After capital expenses, Clear Channel ran a deficit from operations in the year ended June, meaning the company had to eat into cash that’s declined more than 60 percent since the end of 2010 to $704.2 million."

So maybe, just maybe, there's light at the end of the tunnel? [Bain Capital, that rings a bell somewhere...  ;)]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 0328 UTC by Rizla »
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline mr. mike

• West Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 0459 UTC »
The biggest travesty that corporate radio has bestowed upon us is that, no matter where you go, all radio markets sound the same.  With the exception of the proliferation of mexican music on AM, most market do sound the same.  It has sterilized and homogenized the dial nationwide.  And unfortunately for them, the listeners won't ever come back.

+-RH

Second this.
"I will not be filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered." - Number 6

cmradio

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 0153 UTC »
So maybe, just maybe, there's light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm surprised they didn't just tear a page out of Bell/Rogers/Chorus manual and just "acquire, acquire, acquire" their way out of debt and end up with 95% of the radio market to boot ???

Peace!

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 1308 UTC »
My personal preference would be to have expanded the FM band when the DTV transition occurred. Re-allocate TV ch 5 and 6 to LPFM.  Yes, most current radios would not tune it, but it would be easy to add to new radios. Don't some portables tune down there, because it's used for FM in Europe and Japan?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline atrainradio

• Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 1953 UTC »
Yes Chris, my Tecsun- PL 380 goes all the way down to 64 mHz. Never heard a single thing on it but an ocean of static.

cmradio

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 2218 UTC »
My personal preference would be to have expanded the FM band when the DTV transition occurred. Re-allocate TV ch 5 and 6 to LPFM.

That was a proposal from community groups the CRTC was considering, but they were waiting on the FCC to coordinate.

That was 2 years ago, so I think it's dead, dead, dead ::)

Peace!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns