We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Unknown broadcast on 8000 kHz, periodically transmitting  (Read 3093 times)

Offline SW Observer

• View Profile
    • International Numbers Station Monitoring Association
Unknown broadcast on 8000 kHz, periodically transmitting
« on: January 06, 2014, 2148 UTC »
Today from 1900z until 2130z I heard an unusual station on 8000 kHz on the Twente WebSDR.

This station makes an unusual sounding pulse every few seconds, followed by a burst of noise. Occasionally the noise and carrier will stop, and scrambled voice will be heard, though this may or may not be related. Myself and several other monitors on the Twente WebSDR gave the station the unofficial name 'XDE' the DE representing 'Doppler Effect', as it appeared so on the Waterfall view and it somewhat resembles a Doppler pulse.

Here is a recent 17 minute recording of the broadcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b03eOy3zgDM
Florida, always listening via my Tecsun PL-660 receiver.

cmradio

Re: Unknown broadcast on 8000 kHz, periodically transmitting
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 2216 UTC »
That frequency is assigned "Fixed Satellite (Earth to satellite)" and "Research" - could be the eggheads at CSA/ESA/NASA calibrating ???

Peace!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown broadcast on 8000 kHz, periodically transmitting
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 1716 UTC »
Not a radar.  And not sure it has anything much to do with frequency allocations either.  I have seen this same signal, or one very much like it, on 7001.5, 12000, 14000, and now 8000 kHz.

It might be worth noting this signal was in full AM.

My guess is an audio test tone into a transmitter to check the passband of the system.  The tone was using a triangle sweep, sweeping 0 to 5 kHz and then reversing direction and sweeping 5 to 0 kHz, and a 6 second cycle time.

Image of the spectrogram here:

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA