We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Is this the end of the wire for RadioShack?  (Read 13579 times)

Offline Zane

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • hearing the negative waves
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is this the end of the wire for RadioShack?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 1837 UTC »
I worked for them in their final years as Radio Shack in .ca ......

Do you remember SPIFFs? I worked for them for one summer and spiffs (cash bonus on certain products) were an extra way to make money for the employee. SPIFFs on big CB base stations were huge as were those for the first computers. Once in a while I'll ask an employee and they are still around, but not worth much.

The Chicago area had a bit of a problem with drug sales out of some stores. In order to get a job, you had to pass a lie detector test and at least half the questions related to drugs.

Z
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 1842 UTC by Zane »
Chicagoland
Palstar R30CC / Sherwood SE-3 MK IV / pa0rdt Mini-Whip / Gone Long Engineering remote resonant loop / Fansome approved

QSL to zaneradio@comcast.net

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 2341 UTC »
ok - heres one from an old man:
i still go there for things like audio patch cords (like 1/4" phono plugs to rca, etc).
so may i ask can you guys recommend a good online place i could check out?
thx in advance
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Zane

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • hearing the negative waves
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 0047 UTC »
ok - heres one from an old man:
i still go there for things like audio patch cords (like 1/4" phono plugs to rca, etc).
so may i ask can you guys recommend a good online place i could check out?
thx in advance

Monoprice.com

Z
Chicagoland
Palstar R30CC / Sherwood SE-3 MK IV / pa0rdt Mini-Whip / Gone Long Engineering remote resonant loop / Fansome approved

QSL to zaneradio@comcast.net

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 0111 UTC »
I agree with Zane, go with Monoprice.  Its the same Chinese crap, but its damn near next to cost.

As far as connectors go, Digikey or Mouser, whoever is cheaper.  Switchcraft or Neutrik, no substitutes please :)

+-RH
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 0119 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 0451 UTC »
Here is a site with the old RatShack catalogs

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

cmradio

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 0516 UTC »
I worked for them in their final years as Radio Shack in .ca ......

Do you remember SPIFFs? I worked for them for one summer and spiffs (cash bonus on certain products) were an extra way to make money for the employee. SPIFFs on big CB base stations were huge as were those for the first computers. Once in a while I'll ask an employee and they are still around, but not worth much.

Yup! and when I helped a manager friend out a few years ago, they pretty much were only on cell phones and long-term contracts.

The Chicago area had a bit of a problem with drug sales out of some stores. In order to get a job, you had to pass a lie detector test and at least half the questions related to drugs.

Z

Theft here. They do a credit check and social media investigation through Backcheck services. I don't have a Facebook or any social media, so they didn't know what to think of me.

Peace!

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 1453 UTC »

Theft here. They do a credit check and social media investigation through Backcheck services. I don't have a Facebook or any social media, so they didn't know what to think of me.

Geez cm!  And I thought I was the last luddite on the planet without a social networking presence.  Nice to meet someone else who is resisting the ever-creeping digital mold that's growing on everything...  ;)
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 1927 UTC »
I'm there with you two fellas.

I've never owned a cellphone either. Nothing but glorified walkie-talkies any jughead with a scanner and the   right software can decrypt and listen in on.

I'm headin' out to the backyard to practice my smoke signals.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 2031 UTC »
I'm there with you two fellas.

I've never owned a cellphone either. Nothing but glorified walkie-talkies any jughead with a scanner and the   right software can decrypt and listen in on.

I'm headin' out to the backyard to practice my smoke signals.

I'm with ya brother Pigmeat.  Because I'm acting caregiver for my elderly Mother I have a cheapskate TracFone that I keep active for 7 bucks a month.  Except for that and an old bag phone I had back in the 90s when I lived in an off-grid cabin, I've never owned one either.
So now me and the spaniel are heading out to the burn barrel to fire it up and sked with you.  The progressive nannies in Albany have made them illegal to burn trash in but they never outlawed QSOs...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline RedMercuryLabs

• Earth
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - redmercurylabs
    • View Profile
    • Red Mercury Labs
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 2049 UTC »
I do miss walking into Radio Shack and finding components I really needed.  Now, they have a few drawers, with almost nothing in them.  When I hit the door and am asked "Can I help you find something", I laugh inside, and kindly reply "No, I'm good thanks".  Like the 18 year old kid even stocks those drawers, and if he does, he's oblivious to what the stuff is.  I'm tempted to ask for a 1.21 gigawatt flux capacitor, but I'm not that cruel.  If I need a quick antenna adapter from China, I'm usually in luck.

Mouser is my favorite place to shop now.  They ship VERY fast, and have EVERYTHING a research vessel might require.  I have even gotten samples from time to time, free of charge.  They rock... 8)

Yep, "Cell Phone Shack" is comatose...time to pull the plug.
On a clear blue sea...
Yoshi 5000 Transmitter
Doublet hanging from the yardarm
Saxton 8322  RG 223/U  Feed
RV Red Mercury
"I don't post much, but when I do, I prefer HFU"

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 2140 UTC »
Mouser is my favorite place to shop now.  They ship VERY fast, and have EVERYTHING a research vessel might require.  I have even gotten samples from time to time, free of charge.  They rock... 8)

Mouser is also my favorite place. They frequently upgrade your shipping, if your order is large enough. I ordered a bunch of parts the other day, picked (and paid for) ground shipping, and it arrived the next day.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 2215 UTC »
thx thx thx
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline muremanon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 2222 UTC »
have 2 fairly decent stocked rat shacks in the area    one is still just rat shack   the other is in a auto parts store
hope one of them can stay open   

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 1906 UTC »
Thanks BDM for the link to the old catalogs of Radio Shock! Bring back some interesting memories. Why, there was my old 23 channel CB base station, the Realistic Navaho---gaad, what memories!
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve