We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Total Newbie Question  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
Total Newbie Question
« on: January 12, 2014, 0937 UTC »
What I know about shortwave radio would make for a very thin book but I really enjoy the hobby.

I have discovered a really cool decoder software program called fldigi. You can use it to decode all sorts of transmissions, such as RTTY, CW, and NAVTEX.

Total newbie question: I have a cheap Radio Shack ssb shortwave radio http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21589936. Should I be able to dial in and hear NAVTEX transmissions on it?  The international NAVTEX frequency is 518 kHz, but I have not been able to locate the signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Total Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 1831 UTC »
You should be able to use that radio. If you use USB, tune to 517 and fldigi will hear 'em. I use YaND for NAVTEX and really like it.

They're not on 24x7, but in the evenings/night you should be able to get a few of them.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 2137 UTC »
Thanks, skeezix. I sometimes doubt the ability of my cheap setup.  But every now and then, it really comes through and amazes me. (One of these days I'll be able to afford a better radio).

I have a local NAVTEX schedule. They generally broadcast the signal every four hours.  I live in Seattle, WA and the nearest signal to me is located in Tofino, British Columbia, broadcasting on 518 kHz at 01, 05, 09, 13, 17, 2110 UTC.

Cheers.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 0136 UTC »
Don't knock your radio too much; it's about as sensitive as a DX-398, and works well for the money. Adequate selectivity for SW broadcast.

Excellent selectivity on MW, put it next to a loop and it is a good MW DX machine.

Biggest drawback is sometimes it doesn't handle strong SSB signals well, you have to switch on the attenuator (switch it to 'local') and crank the volume to compensate.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns