We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Transmitting audio on Yaesu HF rig  (Read 5904 times)

Offline jordan

• View Profile
Transmitting audio on Yaesu HF rig
« on: January 26, 2014, 1734 UTC »
Is it possible to hook up an audio source (such as an iPod) to transmit audio on a Yaesu HF rig?  How exactly is the microphone jack configured?

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: Transmitting audio on Yaesu HF rig
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 2206 UTC »
Yes, absolutely. Audio can go in via the mic jack, and some radios also have an auxiliary "data" audio jack on the back. In either case you need to know the pin-outs, which are available here:

http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/inter_ft.html

Building a simple interface for low cost is described here:

http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/interface.html

Or you can simply buy a commercially available interface box and cable, and not have to worry about doing anything other than plugging it in. MFJ, West Mountain Radio, and Tigertronics all manufacturer boxes and cables to make this hookup simple.

# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline bumbelstock

• Div. 46
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 1121 UTC »
Jordan,100%  ;)
I have done this to a AM CB Rig plus my modified TR45 Transverter to tx portabel some music.
You simply just take the wire setup from the mic jack, 3,5mm mono jack wired to 'NF' Pin and Ground and one switch to do 'TX' to the 'Ground'.  I use just a CD Player or other Audio Source.
Made this with the 8 Pin Alinco Mic Connector and it work's also. Audio comming good,you just take a look about the Audio Level from your Source,this should not be too high.

Good DX!
Greetings from the Yellow Bumbelstock

RX from central Germany

Offline Reverend Bow Voodoo

• View Profile
    • Reverend Bow: Bastard Modulation Engineering 11 Meter Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 0147 UTC »
What model Yaesu?

If it has as Accessory Port, you can run the audio through there, which will bypass the audio filters in the microphone circuit, which cuts the lows and the highs that give you that "DX" audio...

Reverend Bow Voodoo
VUDU Radio
2TX240
Bastard Modulation Engineering

Can I Get An Amen?

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 0133 UTC »
I used a Yeasu FT-857 as a SSB exciter for awhile using the data input on the back.  I robbed the cable out of a PS/2 Keyboard, then routed the appropriate wires to a switch for TX/RX and audio in.  At least on my rig, the data port was only usable during SSB transmission.  It will not work in AM :(

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns