We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New local QRM source identified  (Read 2338 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
New local QRM source identified
« on: January 26, 2014, 1737 UTC »
The last day or two I noticed an annoying QRM signal on the SDR recordings, around 6920, and way too close to 6925. Thinking back to any recent electronic devices added around the house, I remembered that we just got a new electric kettle, and I plugged in the DVD player the other day, to watch some discs from Netflix. Sure enough, it was the DVD player. Just turning it into standby mode was enough to get rid of the QRM.

Perhaps my new system should be to immediately run the SDR whenever we add any sort of electric device to the house, and verify that it doesn't cause QRM, rather than having to hunt for the offender after the fact.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: New local QRM source identified
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 2215 UTC »
Earlier in the winter I discovered a new RFI generator that was absolutely obliterating my NetSDR. It took me some time to figure it out, but I discovered it to be a battery tender that I hooked up to one of my motorcycles. Specifically, this one: http://www.geniuschargers.com/G7200

Really nice charger, but a brutal RFI machine.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 2223 UTC »
And the FCC wonders what is contributing to kill AM....

Minneapolis, MN

Offline bumbelstock

• Div. 46
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 1132 UTC »
The Loby for 'AM' will be smaller and smaller.. Sometimes i think nobody interessted to MW anymore.. Some people just ask,why i have the 'old' MW switch on my Car Radio :D,they just wont to have 'USB Stick Sound' :P
Got the same noise problemes at my home,the best thing is to walk outside from town and spend so time into the nature with the radio in the hand ;D

Good DX!
Greetings from the Yellow Bumbelstock

RX from central Germany

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 2311 UTC »
And you think you have problems:

My Energizer battery charger causes RFI ( zorth... zorth... etc) AND my temperature controlled soldering iron (buzzzzzzz) AND all of the LED lighting (WB madness) causes unbelievable RFI.

time to get out the ferrite beads and do what needs to be done... the crap that the 'big shot' engineers didn't consider..... grrrrr....

Sorry for the rant guys... I'll do it but I am so scrote-less...  <sigh>

So much for FCC Part 15 unintentional radiators ehhh???

73 Vince
KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!