We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Stereo to mono wiring  (Read 9317 times)

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
Stereo to mono wiring
« on: February 01, 2014, 0303 UTC »
I want to plug my mp3 player into my lm386 amplifier.  I learned that just connecting the right and left channels together is a no no.  I got a nice circuit  diagram from this place under "Stereo to Mono Summing Box:"
http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Is it really necessary? 
Are these resistor values good for my wee little mp3 player or are these for something like stage wiring (which might be different as far as I know)?   
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stereo to mono wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 2246 UTC »
Your MP3 player probably won't care if its output are tied together, but if your worried about it, use a 1-10K resistor in series with each channel to sum them together.  That's all you really need.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 2312 UTC »
Thanks.
Yeah, I'm worried about it. It'll help me not worry about hurting my mp3 player.  They are little, but expensive. 
Since I first posted, I consulted the Corsair and Commando wiring and they had one input for sound, but nothing about the combining of the left and right from the music player.   
California Coast

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 2323 UTC »
One of those schematics has a left and right input with series resistors feeding the modulator.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 0003 UTC »
Tried sending you email via this board.  Send me a personal email if you can see the info.  This is something even I know!  Very simple, just a few resistors involved.  I can send jpg.  You can run that mp3 player at probably 2/3 - 3/4 headphone output and it will work fine.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 0109 UTC »
Yeah Antennae, as redhat said, your player probably won't care... mine do not.  Although I'm sure there are exceptions, I believe that article to be as much opinion as fact.  If you need a cheap MP3 feed try this:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MP3-1/MP3-PLAYER-W/MICRO-SD-CARD-AND-READER/1.html

These little dudes are Sansa slotmusic players.  They use an SD micro card and work GREAT.  Very well-made with a metal frame.  Also All Electronics sells the same without a card for 2 dollars less.  These are WAYYY better than those crappy menu-driven things they sell in the dollar stores and you can't beat the price...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 2306 UTC »
redhat: Thanks, I could easily have missed it. I also didn't check multiple sites.

moof: Thanks, I sent you a private message.

ff: OK, you said the article has some "opinion." So I've found in every hobbyist group there are opinions that are held religiously, is this one of those?
P.S. Wow, 9 bucks with a card and reader!  I have a Sansa with the menu driven crap and its a pain especially when driving a car.
California Coast

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 0023 UTC »
ff: OK, you said the article has some "opinion." So I've found in every hobbyist group there are opinions that are held religiously, is this one of those?
P.S. Wow, 9 bucks with a card and reader!  I have a Sansa with the menu driven crap and its a pain especially when driving a car.

No Antennae, this is NOT held religiously.  From an engineering standpoint what the article writer said is true and HE holds that viewpoint religiously.  Both channels should be isolated from each other.  From a practical standpoint that is often overkill.  With low power circuits and modern chips such as those found in a pocket MP3 player the channels usually require no further isolation.  If in doubt, err on the side of safety.  The link I provided is for the Slotmusic player.  There is no menu-driven anything.  Just plug and play (and adjust the volume).  BTW - I often use these to feed my transmitters, and I hardwire both channels together.  Been using them for over a year that way and I've never had a problem...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 0216 UTC »
Go to Rat Shack, buy a stereo headphone to RCA jack. You now have a monophonic output to feed the transmitter with. Plug the stereo end into your audio source and the RCA end into your patch cord. Plug the other end patch cord into your transmitter, switch the tx on and crank the audio, you're on the air. Nothin' to it, and no soldering.

It will cost you about two and half bucks, plus tax.

Invest in a snap-on ferrite for the patch cord while your there, if you don't have a few around the radio room. Give the patch cord about 3 turns around the core and snap it shut. It will stop rf from creeping back into your audio source.

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 1903 UTC »
ff
Thanks for your response, I understand now why modern, low power players are forgiving.  I have enough info to solder in some wires. I checked out your link and I like the player a lot. 

Pigmeat
I'll have to get me one of those snap-on ferrites. 

I'm being particular because I want the best sound quality I can have.  So I'm taking my time before soldering stuff into place.
California Coast

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 1845 UTC »
I always convert my shows (on mp3) to mono before distributing, to nullify the whole issue.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 0134 UTC »
Thanks. That's my final decision, I soldered them up last week. I used stereo jacks and soldered the tip (+) and the sleeve (-) .  I used 2 jacks, one for a player and one for a microphone.
California Coast