We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: LD-1C SDR  (Read 7476 times)

oly1959

LD-1C SDR
« on: March 02, 2014, 0111 UTC »
Been looking to jump into the SDR scene and sure have appreciated all the posts on the different SDR's that are out there. Came across this SDR from Lazy Dog Engineering. How do you SDR fans feel about this one? It has a 285.00 price tag on it. Thanks. :)

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: LD-1C SDR
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 2043 UTC »
Earlier versions of the Lazy Dog SDR products have poor reviews on eHam. Not a ton of reviews, so it's just one small data point.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

oly1959

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 0001 UTC »
Thanks Beerus. Came across it and was curious about it. Any suggestions on a SDR? Also I think I will have one of your beers ;D.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 2033 UTC »
oly;  When I was initially in the market, I looked at this one also.  Several wise owls here pointed out that for a bit more, the SDR-IQ would be a wiser choice.  Since I have gotten the IQ, I have been very pleased.

If you want to stay in the same price range, maybe you might want to take a look at the Afedri.  Several DXers here use them, and seem to be happy with its performance.  I plan to pick up an Afedri in a month or so.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

oly1959

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 2207 UTC »
Thanks for the info jFarley. We have a radio outlet here called Radio City where I picked up the Drake. I called them about the IQ and the Afedri and they have both of them that I can give them a test run. Thanks again, going to check them out! ;D

oly1959

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 0138 UTC »
Again, thanks for info Beerus and jFarley. I leaned toward the SDR-IQ and purchased that. It is a small but very powerful receiver. Can't wait to get it and try it out! Also picked up a Alpha Delta Comm SWL Broadcast Sloper to use as the antenna. But going to have to wait until all that SNOW is gone to put it up. Thanks again gentlemen. :)

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 2020 UTC »
That's a nice setup and I think you'll be very pleased with the results.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

oly1959

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 2357 UTC »
Thanks Beerus. Looking forward when it is set up and doing some DX'ing with it!!!!! ;D

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 1515 UTC »
I am using an SDR_IQ and an alpha delta sloper & am very pleased with it. Sometimes the sdr won't start on my laptop but that is never a problem on a pc. I think it is more the laptop than the sdr. Simply unplugging the unit & restarting HDSDR solves the problem.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

oly1959

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 0204 UTC »
Thanks for the info glimmer twin. If it does do that, I will know how to take care of it. I am currently using a maximized Alienware laptop (World of Warcraft player) with Windows 7 Pro so hopefully I won't have any issues. According to the IQ specs, this laptop has more than enough needed to run it smoothly(keeping my fingers crossed). It is suppose to arrive next week and the snow is melting quickly so it looks like the Sloper will go up this weekend. The only issue that I am worried about is that I live a stones throw away from 3-50KW AM stations here and hoping that it doesn't overload being that the IQ is very sensitive. It is a issue with the Drake right now even with the gain dropped on the MFJ-1024. Hopefully the Sloper will help with this. It is just so much AM signal around here. Once it is up and running, I will let you know how it is doing. Again, I can't say enough for all the info and help that you all have given me on the SDR but thank you very much. Looking forward to some real fun DX'ing with the IQ! Thanks again! ;D

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns