We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: That Doorbell Looks Innocent, But It May Be a Federal Offender  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
From the Wall Street Journal today:

"FCC Agents Track Rogue Radio Waves To Aquariums, Bulbs, Blankets; $16,000 Fines"

http://tinyurl.com/k95vlpd
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: That Doorbell Looks Innocent, But It May Be a Federal Offender
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 1443 UTC »
My great Aunt and Uncle lived a couple of miles from the National Radio Observatory in Greenbank, WV. The entire valley is about 3000 feet up, with the ridges around it about 1500 - 1800 feet higher. They have hard winters due to the elevation.

The observatory requires a radio/tv dark zone of over 200 square miles. About twenty five years ago they started getting random on and off interference during the winter, usually during the coldest days/nights of winter.

It took the Feds over two years to run down the source. An electric blanket in a dog house with a second rate timer. The folks at the observatory shelled out a few bucks, they bought the lady a heavily insulated dogloo for the pup. No more interference.

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 1548 UTC »
the quality made american products went away   now they compete with china-etc to make cheap crap
maybe they should start getting after the bad noise coming from the power lines  i can hear the substation 10 miles from here
 dirty power makes cheap crap radiate more 
"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 2220 UTC »
the quality made american products went away   now they compete with china-etc to make cheap crap
maybe they should start getting after the bad noise coming from the power lines  i can hear the substation 10 miles from here

I have a bunch of these NOCO "Genius" smart battery chargers. The company that produces them designs them here in the USA and of course they are assembled to their specification in China. They are not inexpensive. Despite the designed in USA pedigree and high price, they are satanic RFI produces. I don't think its necessarily fair to say the problem is that they are made in China. They are designed with no protection against incidental radiation.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 2316 UTC »

They are designed with no protection against incidental radiation.
indeed   to compete or to get it produced cheaper  quality goes out the window 
"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns