We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Best type of telescoping pole for wire antenna?  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Fried Chickin'

• 42.981404457113206, -70.96033285219448
  • High strangeness in life and on the airwaves...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best type of telescoping pole for wire antenna?
« on: March 20, 2014, 1427 UTC »
I'm looking for something to get my wire antenna up high, for obvious reasons. The Jackite pole came to mind, but I was wondering if anyone out there knew of anything better or maybe some comments about the Jackite.  I live in a high wind area so that is something to consider... :-\
L.V.X.

EQSL to hfvoodoo@protonmail.com...73~

Loops & Wires & Love of radio waves...

Offline Fried Chickin'

• 42.981404457113206, -70.96033285219448
  • High strangeness in life and on the airwaves...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best type of telescoping pole for wire antenna?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 1741 UTC »
I actually just found a bunch of reviews on Eham's website.  Seems like a good investment, if just a wire is all one needs to hold up.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6842
L.V.X.

EQSL to hfvoodoo@protonmail.com...73~

Loops & Wires & Love of radio waves...

Offline kcpr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 1854 UTC »
I have been using a 31 footer as an end support for about 5 years has really held up well.I don't extend the last section as its kind of thin. All in all easy to setup and a very good value for a low price

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 0013 UTC »
I always see guys selling fiberglass mast kits at hamfests for $40.  That's what I would do.

+-RH
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 0626 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline MrHellion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 1020 UTC »
I use a Jacktite pole as we speak. The 31 foot version in black.

It was my primary support from 2k7 to 2013.  At first it was the center for a G5RV Jr., then I cut off the coax connector and just run the 300 ohm to a 4:1 just outside the window. Now I call it a 52 foot doublet.

It's survived 40 mph winds w/ one support at the roofline. No guys either. Never balked, never had an issue. Now it holds up the far end of my Par End Fed SWL strapped to a tree. For me, its been worth the 70 dollar investment.

I've also used that military 4 foot section stuff for a 'loaded' 80m antenna w/ a couple of coils on each end. There is some weight to it.  I used 6 sections anchored to a 2x4, again, no guys.  Same winds, didn't fall nor balk, but kinda clumsy to setup for just one person. I'd be lying if I didn't say I dropped it 2 or 3 times before I got it anchored to the 2x4.

Having said that, I now have the 12 meter Spiderpole for the doublet.  Just my opinion, if you have the extra coin, drop the 120 for the Spiderpole.  Either will work, but after having tried a few solutions , the Spiderpole has worked out best for me. YMMV.