We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Any Elecraft KX3 owners?  (Read 7959 times)

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: Any Elecraft KX3 owners?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 2346 UTC »
Hit the weights, and no sniveling. Before long you'll be running up and down mountains with Al and that radio on your back while you copy code at 25 words plus a minute.

I know quite a bit about carrying lots of weight up mountains but at least it's food and useful gear,
not a useless low power 1950's boat anchor, lol

Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Any Elecraft KX3 owners?
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 0308 UTC »
A lot of kx3 owners I know of are selling their kx and getting these things;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwHbZasHleQ

Simple one diode-ectomy to enable wideband tx, and they nicely placed a rather obvious arrow pointing at the diode to dissect. 20w even on am bc plus a transmatch that will match shorts to opens. Draws about 500 mils on rx with screen off.

There was a good review in the March issue of the ham magazine, QST. The article says the antenna tuner cannot match opens or shorts. The Elecraft KX3 idle current can be less than 200 mA as opposed to the Xiegu's 500 mA. The Elecraft has about 10% less package volume which includes internal batteries and room left over for the 2M transverter.. The Xiegu is external power only. I like the Xiegu's microphone's keypad programming and the color display looks really nice although it is small. An online review states the Xiegu's frequency stability is poorer than the KX3. I think with the Xiegu you get what you pay for and that can help to keep a person on budget.

Jim

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 2018 UTC »
A lot of kx3 owners I know of are selling their kx and getting these things;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwHbZasHleQ

Simple one diode-ectomy to enable wideband tx, and they nicely placed a rather obvious arrow pointing at the diode to dissect. 20w even on am bc plus a transmatch that will match shorts to opens. Draws about 500 mils on rx with screen off.

There was a good review in the March issue of the ham magazine, QST. The article says the antenna tuner cannot match opens or shorts. The Elecraft KX3 idle current can be less than 200 mA as opposed to the Xiegu's 500 mA. The Elecraft has about 10% less package volume which includes internal batteries and room left over for the 2M transverter.. The Xiegu is external power only. I like the Xiegu's microphone's keypad programming and the color display looks really nice although it is small. An online review states the Xiegu's frequency stability is poorer than the KX3. I think with the Xiegu you get what you pay for and that can help to keep a person on budget.

If looking for the best cw rig with swap (small weight and power) in mind, the elegraft is your rig.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2020, 0436 UTC »

If looking for the best cw rig with swap (small weight and power) in mind, the elecraft is your rig.

That's a good point that the KX3 was designed with excellent CW operation in mind and it will also decode or send  RTTY and PSK31  without a PC. It is a great SWL receiver and I listen often to KTWW  classic rock music broadcasts. In the field it has been as great for receiving CW beacons as it is at home.
Jim

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
Re: Any Elecraft KX3 owners?
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 2122 UTC »

Not a real technical video. More of a presentation of the audio resulting from using different receive filters in the crowded 7MHz ham band for these radios - Kenwood 590SG, Xiegu G90, Elecraft KX3, SunSDRPro2, mcHF QRP transceiver

https://youtu.be/l4C8QI7L_lM

mcHF M0NKA
http://www.m0nka.co.uk/?page_id=2
Jim