We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A question about 'tuned' ground systems and a link to an antenna site  (Read 1026 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Back in the 1970's I remember building a tuned ground system (long wire ground tuned with an antenna tuner) that helped in some cases to reduce local noise.  Has anyone else tried this and how did it work for you?

Also for those of us that might need info on different types of antenna construction I found this site and it seems to be quite nice:

http://www.buxcomm.com/ant.htm#hp6mdpl

TNX

73 Vince KA1IIC

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I know MFJ offers this;
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-931

I recall someone in the far realms of the past say it helped in an apartment situation.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yep it does work but not so much as to pay big bucks for it...

I had a coil I made in my junk box and a 250pf variable so I tossed them together to see what would happen when I connected it to my 200 foot single radial...

It did tune out electrical line noise from the power company lines about 2 db...  not great but now I can hear some thing down on 75 meters which is all I asked of it...  so I giv3e it a 5 on the joy level ;-)

I used the coil for BCB not amateur as the 200 foot radial is 'long' vs 75 meters.  the variable is connected in series with the radio ground and the long radial...

The radial is just speaker wire run to the back of the apartment, out the door and down a side wall to the front of the apartment.  It soon will be hidden with flower beds that I always use to hide such things.  The apartment owner doesn't realize that I have a 'hidden' motive behind making the area grounds looking better ;-)  In this situation one must use what works for them ;-)

73 Vince
KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns