We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Vietnamese number station  (Read 4012 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
Vietnamese number station
« on: April 18, 2014, 1625 UTC »
Heard on Twente while pretending to work. 10255usb at 16:05 UTC.    V30 I think is the enigma designation for this one. If I am wrong I am sure one of the more knowledgeable number station followers will correct me.

Thanks to Z
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 2053 UTC by glimmer twin »
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Vietnamese number station
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 2027 UTC »
Yes, that was V30.  It started its first of three identical messages at 1557 UTC.  This station uses only 10255 kHz USB as near as I can tell, I have never heard, or heard of it, on other frequencies.  The clock of the PC that the recording is run from (it is a live voice recorded once, then sent as needed) moves forward slightly each day, so that the start time gets earlier and earlier.  When the start time gets to about 1555 UTC the operators apparently sync the clock, and start time moves back to about 1600 UTC.

The station transmits any day but Sunday, but that does not mean it is every day.  Some months there are only one or two transmissions, other months might have 20.  But the same message is sent sometimes for months on end.

Yeah, it is an odd ball.

Its sister CW station, M97, has essentially identical operational habits, except that it is on 10375 kHz CW and one hour earlier, at about 1500 UTC.

T!  (Z on Twente)
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 1602 UTC »
aka Hai Dang [1] from 1558z 10255kHz 

[1] http://www.numbersoddities.nl/V30-profile.pdf
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 1647 UTC »
aka Hai Dang [1] from 1558z 10255kHz 

[1] http://www.numbersoddities.nl/V30-profile.pdf

While Hai Dang (Lighthouse) is included in almost all transmissions for this station, it has not been in every transmissions.  That is one of the reasons a name like Lighthouse did not stick to the station.  It was known for over a year as “VTN”, but I think that was because I was the only one reporting it at that time and that was how I carried it in my logs and reports.

V30, and its sister station M97, is still a very sporadic operation.  It might go weeks, even months, without a transmission, and then transmit every day for a while, often with the same message it started sending months ago.  A very odd station, and not often reported.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 1856 UTC »
A rose by any other name...
Reported as heard from open source sked

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 1520 UTC »
Morse 10375 kHz, 24 March 2016 until 1515z ending with "KKKKKKKK"

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns