We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KGFR 1490 AM New station in Great Falls Montana  (Read 5887 times)

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
KGFR 1490 AM New station in Great Falls Montana
« on: April 19, 2014, 0505 UTC »
New AM station in Great Falls, Hip Hop - Rap station - Non commercial so far anyway - All music w/ pro DJ's
Malmstrom AFB Great Falls Montana
KGFR 1490 AM  1000 watts day  570 Night  non directional
also 99.9 FM "The heat"  K257FL  240 watts
Studio Link 950 Mhz  WQSE964
I Heard them testing 1/11/14  Very good signal 20 khz BW  - Mostly Id's with the FM translator ID - 93.3 the Heat
April 2014 - Have noticed them during the day - most but not all days the past few weeks - may still be operating / testing via the construction permit?

FCC docket shows there may still be unresolved problems w/ required environmental and or archeological studies at transmitter site?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 0559 UTC by Rockpicker »
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: KGFR 1490 AM New station in Great Falls Montana
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 1503 UTC »
I once caught that station here in Washington state on a Realistic TRF, last year.

The station was local strength for about two minutes, and then faded into the mess. Very odd.

But got an ID, so it went into the log....
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KGFR 1490 AM New station in Great Falls Montana
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 0138 UTC »
Update Oct 4  2012
Shortly after I made the original post - KGFR AM went silent..
I checked from time to time during the summer and nothing.. Went to Great Falls a few times this summer - again nothing on 1490 AM

Today  Oct 4  2014  I noticed a nice strong 20 khz wide signal on 1490 khz - sure enough KFGFR is back on the air now, very nice audio!

I am about 75 miles from the tower with a mountain range between us so I loose them completely when they switch to night time power levels...
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave