We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate radio stations are 'lifeline' for immigrant communities  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
There have been several posts here over the last few weeks about the recent raids in the Boston area, but I came across this article which I hadn't seen before. It gives some pretty good insight into how these stations serve certain communities. There's even a picture of a seized transmitter. The transmitter looks like one of the Veronica designs from about 15 years ago or so.

BROCKTON – For thousands of Brockton residents, tuning in to a pirate radio station is a connecting them to home.

http://dennis.wickedlocal.com/article/20140422/News/140428919/?Start=1

# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts