We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Where to start.  (Read 3340 times)

Offline IraqVet

• Central, IA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where to start.
« on: May 10, 2014, 0050 UTC »
Is there a comprehensive list (sticky post or otherwise) that has some good web resources on where to get started?

Thx!

Icom R75,  160m circular wire loop thing.  Also, backup rainspout "antenna".
QSL: medicdave29@yahoo.com

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 0209 UTC »
Hi there and welcome Iraqvet.  I don't know what your knowledge/experience level is so I'm not sure where to point you.  The best site I know of for newbie transmitter builders is Make RF's site:

http://makerf.com/

If you have some building experience then Radio Anarchy has developed a really nice easy to build minimalist design called the Guerilla:

http://www.angelfire.com/de/RadioAnarchy/

If you're an old pro at building RF projects then Dave Martin's website will keep you busy:
http://freeradiotx.blogspot.com/

There are several other good sites (especially some Dutch and German ones) that you can google and connect to.

And if you want to interact with other pirate builders you can join the homebrewpirateradio Yahoo group.  Good luck with your endeavors...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline IraqVet

• Central, IA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 0123 UTC »
Thanks.  I've got a handful of books from Amazon too that spell out and help with alot of technical issues.  Those links are great.  :)
Icom R75,  160m circular wire loop thing.  Also, backup rainspout "antenna".
QSL: medicdave29@yahoo.com

Offline Poppagator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 0118 UTC »
You might try to pick up a copy of The Radio Amateur's Handbook, an older one from the 1980s or thereabouts.  Handbooks of that era had projects in them that you could actually duplicate and get working as well as some good theory and practice stuff.  The modern ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications (hey, what's in a name?) is geared more toward microcircuitry using high-density circuit boards and surface mount components, which are fine in and of themselves but don't really lend themselves to easy duplication especially for a newcomer to the "black arts" of radio equipment construction.
The future ain't what it used to be.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 1853 UTC »
Honestly, for the newbie, look for a second-hand HF rig.  If you have some electronic ability, try building a grenade or a corsair.  Schematics are all over the web.

We all start somewhere, welcome to the dark side :D

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me