We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: High Powered Pirates  (Read 13431 times)

Offline k8cpa

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: High Powered Pirates
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 0624 UTC »
I know this is an old topic...but....

On Radio Metallica Worldwide, I heard that he got busted. Said his callsign on the air, and they nailed him. Was a big time Amateur Radio operator. I don't know if they took his license, but, he did get a big fine, I heard.

He was good at what he did, I also heard he worked in the radio station business.

anyone else heard this? 

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 1520 UTC »
I know this is an old topic...but....

On Radio Metallica Worldwide, I heard that he got busted. Said his callsign on the air, and they nailed him. Was a big time Amateur Radio operator. I don't know if they took his license, but, he did get a big fine, I heard.

He was good at what he did, I also heard he worked in the radio station business.

anyone else heard this? 

What I've heard is far, far... FAR different than that.  But since what I heard is to a large extent undocumented, I won't elaborate...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 1821 UTC »
I never remember Dr. Tornado [RMWW] being busted, but then again, I've forgotten a lot of things over the years.  I do remember someone at the Winterfest saying RMWW was located close to an interstate highway and when he was driving by he could almost feel the rf as the signal was so strong.
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Fansome

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 2051 UTC »
I never heard about him being busted. However, I did hear that he was getting tired of paying the electric bills for his 10kw amp. I know towards the end of his pirating he was trying to rent time on his station for something like $10 an hour. I don't know if anyone ever took him up on it.

I have it from what I consider a reliable source that his station was indeed 10kw. This person visited the station and saw the amp.

Offline audiokaos

• Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 1736 UTC »
This setup wasn't too shabby. Owner seems like a typical spoiled brat mind you... 4KW on FM apparently...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mix_FM_(Ottawa)
Using Kenwood TS930SAT, Dipole cut for 15M
please qsl audiokaos at gee mail dot com.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 1858 UTC »
I doubt you'd feel the RF from a 7 MHz TX at 10KW, unless you were right next to the antenna.  FM is a different story.  I've foolishly been within 3 feet or so of FM bays running 1KW on my parents roof.  You can definitely feel that, it feels like a burning sensation.  I also recall working on a few 50 KW AM's during which my knees and elbows would start to hurt after a while.

The power levels I play with these days, I don't feel a thing ;)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline audiokaos

• Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 1430 UTC »
I doubt you'd feel the RF from a 7 MHz TX at 10KW, unless you were right next to the antenna.  FM is a different story.  I've foolishly been within 3 feet or so of FM bays running 1KW on my parents roof.  You can definitely feel that, it feels like a burning sensation.  I also recall working on a few 50 KW AM's during which my knees and elbows would start to hurt after a while.

The power levels I play with these days, I don't feel a thing ;)

+-RH

I had the opportunity to go up to the transmitter / combiner room of Toronto's CN Tower. It's got a whack of commercial FM & TV stations on it. In the combiner room, there is one section of coax that feeds the main antenna. Close too a million watts of VHF/UHF rf on it. You could feel a warm fuzz as you put your hand closer to it. Started about 2 foot away & got too strong at 1ft to go closer..:)

Stuck my head out of the 'roof' too. Wickedly neat.
Using Kenwood TS930SAT, Dipole cut for 15M
please qsl audiokaos at gee mail dot com.

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 1638 UTC »
I have a coworker that worked at a military radar station in Alaska. There was a fire alarm sounding inside and the door into the station was frozen shut. He went up to the roof and climbed in that way to find no fire.  While on the roof he felt the radiation and said it was tingly. I think he said it was in the megawatts range.  He is very quick and smart, weird, twitches, can't have children, and recently had his bladder removed. He thinks he's impotent from the radiation exposure. His thyroid had some problem after the exposure. 
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 2136 UTC »
Microwave radiation is another matter.  One of my early mentors worked in the army's signal core during the cold war.  He worked at several bizzarr sites, several were involved in the DEW-line project, probably similar to where Antennae's coworker worked.  He did say several of the guys would stand in proximity of the antenna systems to stay warm.  I'd hazard a guess and say most of them aren't on the planet anymore.

+-RH

Offline OMCS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 1713 UTC »
I would guess that most SW pirate transmitters average about 100 watts or less. If the transmitter is rated at 100 watts, that's probably what it does under optimum conditions: no gassy tubes, perfect antenna match etc... is that a fair assessment or are there many pirates who use more than 100 watts?

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 2325 UTC »
I would guess most sideband pirates are running modified ham rigs, most of which are rated at 100W PEP.  Back in the early days, 100W would get me to both coasts on fall evenings on USB.  The antenna was an attic dipole.

+-RH

Offline OMCS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 1317 UTC »
 :o Both coasts on 100 watts, nice.  Especially on an attic antenna.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns