We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Air Force prepares to dismantle HAARP ahead of summer shutdown  (Read 1893 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
http://www.adn.com/2014/05/14/3470442/air-force-prepares-to-dismantle.html

FAIRBANKS -- The U.S. Air Force gave official notice to Congress Wednesday that it intends to dismantle the $300 million High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program in Gakona this summer.

The shutdown of HAARP, a project created by the late Sen. Ted Stevens when he wielded great control over the U.S. defense budget, will start after a final research experiment takes place in mid-June, the Air Force said in a letter to Congress Tuesday.

The University of Alaska has expressed interest in taking over the research site, which is off the Tok Cutoff in an area where black spruce was cleared a quarter-century ago for the Air Force backscatter radar project that was never completed. But the school has not volunteered to pay $5 million a year to run HAARP.

Responding to questions from Sen. Lisa Murkowski during a Senate hearing Wednesday, David Walker, deputy assistant secretary of the Air Force for science, technology and engineering, said this is "not an area that we have any need for in the future" and it would not be a good use of Air Force research funds to keep HAARP going. "We're moving on to other ways of managing the ionosphere, which the HAARP was really designed to do," he said. "To inject energy into the ionosphere to be able to actually control it. But that work has been completed."

Comments of that sort have given rise to endless conspiracy theories, portraying HAARP as a superweapon capable of mind control or weather control, with enough juice to trigger hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes.

Scientists say all of that is nonsense, and that the degree of ionosphere control possible through HAARP is akin to controlling the Pacific Ocean by tossing a rock into it.

Built at a cost of more than $290 million, the site has 180 antennas on 30 acres that are used to direct energy into the ionosphere, which is 55 miles to 370 miles above the Earth, and monitor changes in the flow of charged particles. Stevens was the godfather of HAARP, which he helped start two decades ago with annual earmarks slipped into the defense budget.

At the hearing on defense research and innovation, featuring six representatives of the Pentagon, no one said HAARP has a future in the defense budget.

Walker said the Air Force has maintained the site for several years and the last project is one by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). Once completed, the site will close.

DARPA Director Arati Prabhakar said, "The 'P' in DARPA is projects. We're not in the business of doing the same thing forever, so very naturally as we conclude that work, we're going to move on. It's not an ongoing need for DARPA despite the fact that we had actually gotten some good value out of that infrastructure in the past."

Walker said the Air Force would like to remove critical equipment this summer to avoid the expense of winterization.

Alan Shaffer, assistant secretary of defense for research and engineering, said HAARP is a "world-class facility," but the department does not need it anymore.

"With all the other issues and problems and challenges facing the department at this time, we just don't see that that investment, over a long-term period, is where we would prioritize our investment," said Shaffer.

"No one else wants to step up to the bill, ma'am," Shaffer said to Murkowski.

On another topic, Murkowski asked Shaffer about small modular nuclear reactors for remote areas. She said, for example, Eielson Air Force Base could benefit from "reliable energy security that nuclear power can provide."

Shaffer said the "sticker shock" of an initial $1 billion investment for a small nuclear reactor is a huge obstacle.

Minneapolis, MN

Nella F.

Re: Air Force prepares to dismantle HAARP ahead of summer shutdown
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 2325 UTC »
Isn't that fascinating. Maybe it's time to look at all the Super/Hadron Colliders/Particle Accelerators... what's that 40 whatever mile in diameter subatomic particle super collider blah blah blah in Europe being used to make the smallest known "thingees" even smaller  ::) ...for what?! What yah gonna find...? Godduh.....?! Wouldn't it be ironic if that collider blew up creating a hole... like a volcano the size of what Yellowstone Park is now currently on top of?        
                                                (I sometimes feel like Grandpa Simpson). 

"Science! Has Failed! The World!"
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 2337 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline melliferal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 2017 UTC »
That's a shame.  Deep down inside I was always hoping that HAARP would do another HF experiment like they did early on in the facility's existence, and they would hand out QSL cards again.  Always wanted a HAARP QSL card.  Looks like it's not going to happen after all.
Alexandria, LA
melliferal[AT]yahoo.com
Grundig G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition, whip antenna

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 2127 UTC »
Isn't that fascinating. Maybe it's time to look at all the Super/Hadron Colliders/Particle Accelerators... what's that 40 whatever mile in diameter subatomic particle super collider blah blah blah in Europe being used to make the smallest known "thingees" even smaller  ::) ...for what?! What yah gonna find...? Godduh.....?! Wouldn't it be ironic if that collider blew up creating a hole... like a volcano the size of what Yellowstone Park is now currently on top of?        
                                                (I sometimes feel like Grandpa Simpson). 

"Science! Has Failed! The World!"

Heh Nella...  4000 holes in Blackburn L...  and tho the holes were very small... they had to count them all... now they know how many holes it takes... etc etc  <heh>

Perhaps the collider might create a 'black hole'...  of course no relationship to Blackburn...  :P

Mean while back to my tin foil hat and sun glasses... <sigh>

73 Vince KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Nella F.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 2334 UTC »
I get the tin foil hat but sunglasses...? You're not one of those people who wear them E V E R Y W H E R E are you? Like your local library... your local tavern?
                                                                Opps! Almost forgot:
                                                                              8)
Wait! They counted 4000 holes? Individually, by hand? Serves them right if you ask me.                                                  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 2339 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 1508 UTC »
I get the tin foil hat but sunglasses...? You're not one of those people who wear them E V E R Y W H E R E are you? Like your local library... your local tavern?
                                                                Opps! Almost forgot:
                                                                              8)
Wait! They counted 4000 holes? Individually, by hand? Serves them right if you ask me.                                                  

Yeah 4000 and they will be donated to the National Trust...  gotta love those civil serpents ehhh?

I only wear my sun glasses when I don't want to be seen...  (REF: Monty Python)   ::)  ;)

later...  time to melt solder...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 1904 UTC »
Oh Yeah I forgot.... DIBBS on the towers  ::)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns