We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Wellbrook ALA-1530 Magnetic Loop Antenna  (Read 8252 times)

Offline Fried Chickin'

• 42.981404457113206, -70.96033285219448
  • High strangeness in life and on the airwaves...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wellbrook ALA-1530 Magnetic Loop Antenna
« on: April 26, 2014, 0155 UTC »
Well, the Eham.com reviews were on point; this thing is incredible.  It's got my noise floor down to zero from a steady S7 or higher, and nothing but radio signals pouring in. It's installed on the roof of my house with a rotor at about 10' elevation. Expensive, but well worth it to a shortwave obsessed person such at myself.     ;D
L.V.X.

EQSL to hfvoodoo@protonmail.com...73~

Loops & Wires & Love of radio waves...

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wellbrook ALA-1530 Magnetic Loop Antenna
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 1434 UTC »
Did you identify the source of your noise?  Wasn't it electric supply close to the house?
If so, I might have to give one of the Wellbrooks a try.  Probably an indoor model.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 2212 UTC »
I am not a big fan of physically small antennas.  Magloops, active loops, tuned loops, active whips, etc, not high on my “like” list.  But I have to admit I am in a fairly unusual situation for most listeners, and I have very little noise to deal with here in the desert.

With that said, I do normally keep a loop or two around.  Even though I do not generally have noise to deal with I like to be able to null stations out, particularly on MW and LW.  So generally I have 2 loops around, one optimized for the bottom end of MW BC and LW, and the other for top end of MW BC and into the tropical bands.  But since I got my Wellbrook ALA1530S+ I have not used another loop, my home brew loops that I have used for years are not even currently hooked up.

This antenna is simply put, very good.  I can only imagine how it improves things in a high noise environment.  I have had some short duration transient noise (such as a bad pole transformer for a few days), and the 1530 did very well at killing that noise.

Does it beat a well designed and installed full size resonant antenna?  Not in general.  Yeah, before proponents start talking about SNR vs hammering the meter, I am talking about SNR…with the addition of stronger on the meter.  But in my case it often does almost as well, is much more compact, and you only need one antenna, instead of several / many.  Naturally, it does not compete at all with anything directional or with gain, such as Rhombics, V-Beams, Beverages, etc.

If I lived in a higher noise environment, had limited space, or was an apartment dweller, I would put the Wellbrook ALA1530S+ right at the top of my must have radio stuff.  Probably the Pixel Pro is just as good, but I have not tried that myself.

I also have to say, if you are going to use a loop get a rotor.  The ability to turn the loop and null stations or noise dynamically is a very strong tool to have in the arsenal.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 0427 UTC »
Salivating. I've got one on my wish list. 
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 0249 UTC »
I've had one for a year & a half and love it. It does great on LW & MW and as frequency increases, it does less & less so. Near the top of the HF band, it does ok, but nothing spectacular. But, I knew that before I bought it and that's fine with my listening. Have a G5RV for HF.

Mine is in the garage and picking up a ton of noise from our crappy power & other crappy devices. Soon, hopefully, it will be sent to the shed in the back of the yard away from all of that. Its nice & quiet back there....

Minneapolis, MN

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 0330 UTC »
As many of you know and some don't, there are three versions of this model. The ALA1530LF-2, ALA1530 and ALA1530S+. Also one indoor version, and of course other model types.

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/antennashop/index.php?route=product/category&path=20
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 0022 UTC »
Mine arrived yesterday.  1530 indoor (PVC,not Al) model.  I got the needed RF adapter today and mounted on a photo tripod. 
First impression is not super, but I'm not unhappy.  I have horrible S7-9 power noise over much of the spectrum under 10mhz.
My S level on 6900s went from S9 on the vertical to anywhere from S1-7 depending on the loop direction.  S1-2 sounded about 3/4 as static-y as the S9 on the vertical.  No huge noise reduction to my ears when there are no signals, meter says otherwise.  Hams on 7000s sounded a little less noisy.  But this is just my first hour messing with it over dinner.  Hope to do some good comparisons on 40m tonight and tomorrow, so somebody give me a reason to haul my fat ass upstairs to listen to a real signal.

500-2000khz had a significantly more pronounced buzz than with the vertical.  I was able to null 3/4 of the signal, say 890 WLS Chicago, so it is functioning when rotated.  S meter said things were much better, ears said otherwise down low on MW.