We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A dream I had last night.... hmmmmm...  (Read 2594 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
A dream I had last night.... hmmmmm...
« on: June 04, 2014, 1814 UTC »
I've always wanted to buy one of those 'toy' RC helicopters I see in the stores around Christmas time...

And now for the dream;

In this dream I did buy one of these toys, added to it a small... err perhaps a 100mw FM transmitters and a cheap MP3 player ($8 bucks)... sent it into the sky and played toonage for the masses...

Now with a buddy or two with like controllers said object flew several miles here and there and back again...  toonage for more of the masses...

Of course I would never use more than the legal limit if I did do this and I suspect I never would but... how high can U fly ;-)

Ideas often come of dreams I guess...

never mind... yeah just another brain fart... excuse please... ;-)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
Re: A dream I had last night.... hmmmmm...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 2020 UTC »
Great idea Vince!  Most of the chip-based FMers and MP3 players run on zippo voltage, so a heavy battery pack is not needed.  And since on FM antenna height means more than watts you would also have a good coverage area with low power.  Of course, your radio station might get shot down by a government drone... ;)
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 1342 UTC »
As I was taught many years ago... it is very hard to zero in on a moving target even today when using drones ;-)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 1923 UTC »
The only problem I could see would be the helicopter not giving enough thrust to lift the extra weight.  The xmitter would have to be pretty small.

Of course, if you got a larger helicopter then that would help some.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 2300 UTC »
The issue would be time of flight.  Several helos and quadrotors could carry a small transmitter, say even 1 Watt if you are careful to keep weight down with the design and build, and an MP3 player.  But few can stay in the air for more than 10 minutes with such loads.  Example the Blade 350 QX quadrotor (wife just got me one a week ago) will lift a camera and 2 axis stabilization mount.  But, without the camera it stays aloft for about 12 minutes.  With the camera more like 7.  I could (and have) double up the battery, but the flight time does not double because of the increased weight.

Google or YouTube “FPV quadrotor” to see people flying these things extended distances with camera and telemetry gear on board.  With such gear you could fly it miles yourself, no need for multiple control points.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 1801 UTC »
I think you'd get better results with a tethered helium balloon, but even that may not be feasible with the helium shortage.  An untethered balloon would have quite the footprint at about 80,000 feet, but limited flight time of about 30 minutes to an hour or so.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 2038 UTC »
Helium shortage ? Use hydrogen like the Germans. #hindenberg
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 2135 UTC »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 2218 UTC »
I never knew they could fly? Yet another reason to avoid Florida.