We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: what is a coconut call?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
what is a coconut call?
« on: May 22, 2014, 1221 UTC »
I listen to the maritime mobile net on 14300 Khz sometimes when there is nothing in English on the SW broadcast bands. During my local night time I hear the Pacific seafarers net which consists of the net control going through a roll call of vessels & making contact & getting reports from them. Its kind of cool to hear these guys & imagine them in their sailboats in the Pacific ocean. After completing the roll call the net control will call for someone (a station that can relay for the net control) to make "coconut calls" to certain vessels. I can't figure out from the context what the hell a coconut call is. Anybody know?  

btw, last night I heard a commercial vessel in the pacific break in to the nets roll call & after being told he should not be operating on an amateur frequency the vessel explained that he had no other means of communication & asked for the net to send an e-mail for him.

http://14300.net/
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Fried Chickin'

• 42.981404457113206, -70.96033285219448
  • High strangeness in life and on the airwaves...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what is a coconut call?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 1603 UTC »
Coconut call = Net "guest" check-in, maybe?
L.V.X.

EQSL to hfvoodoo@protonmail.com...73~

Loops & Wires & Love of radio waves...

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 1614 UTC »
14300 is a hell of a lot better than 14313  
"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Offline kmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 0523 UTC »
"kokonas redio’ (‘coconut radio’) – word of mouth". I.e., "say can you send so and so a message coconut radio" it is asking if anyone over the air can speak to another sailor in person via word of mouth- for instance, "can you tell the capt of the "Love Me Knot" I will be in the Marquesas - meet me up for drinks"

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 1533 UTC »
I hadn't followed up on the replies to my query. Thank you kmorgan. Another mystery solved.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room