We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Portable HF Antenna question  (Read 2755 times)

Offline OMCS

• View Profile
    • Email
Portable HF Antenna question
« on: June 16, 2014, 1514 UTC »
I obtained a portable hf vertical antenna several years ago   basically this on a tripod, slightly different mine has ground radials. The telescopic whip was rather flimsy and about ten inches broke off the top.  MY question is this:
1. will re-soldering a piece to the tip make any difference to the overall operation
2. Can I use a mfj random wire tuner with this (using just the center feed)

It has been gathering dust for years and we are considering using it during travel.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 1518 UTC by OMCS »

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Portable HF Antenna question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 1607 UTC »
Soldering the ten inches back on the tip will probably improve reception, depending on the overall length of your antenna (I can't tell how long it all is from the picture).

I'm guessing if it was designed to be used with the radials, having the entire length of the mast would be preferable. Looks like its got a loading coil. Definitely is designed to be used with the entire length of the mast.

I don't see why you couldn't use a tuner with it. To a tuner, whether it's wire or a telescoping whip, it's just a length of metal.  I'm not sure exactly how much a tuner will help, being that it looks like a tuned antenna -- but there's no harm in trying it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 1609 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline OMCS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 2238 UTC »
Thanks for the reply Boombox. Was thinking about using the portable for transmitting as well. Have used it in the past but not the greatest output, basically just tuned (moved the coil adjustment) for loudest signal. Unsure how the mfj tuner would affect the transmitting. The antenna works pretty well for reception. Wasn't sure if the tip fully extended was part of the coil scheme or just more overall antenna length.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 2240 UTC by OMCS »

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 0251 UTC »
It looks like it's a homemade version of the Pac 12 portable ham antenna.  The Pac 12 has different coils for different bands.  I've seen them in use by hams running QRP, and it's amazing how well they actually work for such a short antenna.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 1843 UTC »
If you're planning on transmitting with the antenna, you'd definitely want to solder the top back onto the mast / whip.

I'm sure it was designed to be used with that length -- even with a loading coil, they usually take the length of the whip or mast into consideration.

I know with a loaded whip CB antenna, you shorten the whip too much, the SWR goes way up. I'd think it would be the same with your antenna.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns