We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Swedish Rhapsody vs Luxembourg Polka  (Read 17781 times)

Online sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Swedish Rhapsody vs Luxembourg Polka
« on: June 16, 2014, 1856 UTC »
For years the German 5F Achtung station has been known as Swedish Rhapsody from the interval signal on the music box.

Now, according to some unknown individual [1] with access to documents from the Polish Ministry of Interior the “real name of the music” is “Luxembourg Polka” composed by one (sic?) “E. Reissdorf.”

Music searches credit the above music to Rudolph Goehr and Emile Reisdorff. Of note, Emile Reisdorff, was the pseudonym used by English music manager/record producer Bunny Lewis.

Here’s a waltzer version of the Swedish Rhapsody[2]than a sort of pop version of the Luxembourg Polka[3]for comparative purposes to the music box tune.

[1]Numbers & Oddities Edition 200 May 2014

[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be3BZeoqs3Y

[3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97mW5DIqPM
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 2322 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Swedish Rhapsody vs Luxembourg Polka
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 2003 UTC »
Both pieces of music sound similar, but I'd have to give the nod to Swedish Rhapsody.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline Ary-B

• Netherlands
    • View Profile
    • Numbers & Oddities
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 2017 UTC »
They sound quite similar. Interesting is that in the documents written by the handler the piece is called "Luxemburg Polka". This document comes from the archives of the former Polish secret service which is available at request (if you are lucky - quite a difficult procedure), so you would expect that it is correct.

73, Ary

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 1421 UTC »
To this poster’s ears anyway, the music box tune sounds closer to the Swedish Rhapsody[2] than the Luxembourg Polka[3].

I also have to say the music sounds more like Swedish Rhapsody than the Luxemburg Polka to me, however I have kind of a tin ear, and, if legit, you would expect the source to be correct.

So maybe the station carrying the ENIGMA IDs of G2 and E23 has been misnamed all these years and should have been called the Luxemburg Polka station instead.  However Swedish Rhapsody sounds better to me ;)

By the way sat_dxer, I have been meaning to ask you about your signature.  Yes, I know you have been using it for quite some time, but I assume you are aware that there is no “ENIGMA 2000” transmission classification scheme?  The classification scheme you are addressing was originated (I believe, Ary probably has better information) by the original ENIGMA group, not E2K, and was in use by multiple publications / groups long before E2K existed.  E2K has only continued the scheme as laid out by ENIGMA.  The majority of stations carrying such designations in the ENIGMA Control List (which also existed before E2K did) were assigned by the original ENIGMA group, and only a relative handful have been assigned since ENIGMA stopped publishing and E2K started.  And yes, I believe the designators G2 and E23, for the Swedish Rhapsody stations, were assigned by the original ENIGMA group, for sure these IDs for this set of stations had been published before E2K was around (the designator G2 was in use very early on, and E23 was in use by late 1997 or early 1998).

In other words, the ENIGMA Control List is a product of, and originally published by, the original ENIGMA group, not the ENIGMA 2000 group.  It was in publication a number of years before ENIGMA shifted focus to other things.  ENIGMA 2000 has continued the list, but the majority of the list as it exist today is just as designated by the original ENIGMA group.

T!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 0059 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns