We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Outdoor vs. Attic Antennas  (Read 6663 times)

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
Re: Outdoor vs. Attic Antennas
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 2241 UTC »
As far as a window/door feed through, this is what I found.
For transmitting (up to a point) as well as receiving.
You can close the window or door on it.
50 ohms

http://www.americanradiosupply.com/comet-ctc-50m-flat-window-door-feed-thru-coaxial-cable-so-239/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 1835 UTC by ByteBORG »
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Fansome

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 0744 UTC »
Radio Shack sells a "flat coax" 8" cable that's only about $5. Unfortunately, it's 75 ohms, and has F connectors at each end. Too bad they don't make a 50 ohm version with the right kind of connectors.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 0826 UTC »
Hitch, do you own the house or are you renting?

I had similar situation with a house I owned, the former owner had used rubber cement on most of the windows. What I did was this, I drilled a hole through the bottom of the window sill. Then I went to Lowes and bought one of those screw together coax entry tubes the cable guys use. I used some silicone to seal the flanges on the entry tube to the window. After I threaded the coax through and got the antenna up, I gave the tube a shot of expanding foam to seal it tight. It worked well.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns