We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HM01missing/off the air  (Read 4607 times)

07code04stalker1776

HM01missing/off the air
« on: July 14, 2014, 1837 UTC »
Hey everybody keep an ear out for HM01 M08a or V02. I first noticed that there was a complete absence of HM01 early Friday morning and it has been missing ever since which is not usual because it's very active.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: HM01missing/off the air
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 1939 UTC »
The last time I heard any of these stations was HM01 on July 10, 2014, sometime in the morning (local time, maybe around 1400 UTC), I do not generally bother to log this staiton so no log entry for exact time.  The last reported reception I am aware of is 2200 on July 10, 2014.

Lots of speculation that this station may have terminated operations, however I think that a little premature.  The Cubans have, although very rarely, gone off the air for days at a time in the past.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline RickF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 2214 UTC »
I find it interesting that HM01 ceased transmitting just prior to Putin's arrival in Havana. It was noted on another board (sorry forget which one) that monitors have noticed an increase in Russian intelligence naval assets in Cuba recently as well. 

Offline Ary-B

• Netherlands
    • View Profile
    • Numbers & Oddities
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 0628 UTC »
I copied HM01 today 15-7 at 0600 on 14375 kHz
Ary

Offline SW Observer

• View Profile
    • International Numbers Station Monitoring Association
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 0755 UTC »
I copied HM01 today 15-7 at 0600 on 14375 kHz
Ary

Now I can breathe a sigh of relief.
Florida, always listening via my Tecsun PL-660 receiver.

Offline Ary-B

• Netherlands
    • View Profile
    • Numbers & Oddities
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 0803 UTC »
also at 0700 at 13435 kHz and 0800 on 11635 kHz
57521 07373 38122 08778 38085 07701

Ary

07code04stalker1776

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 1311 UTC »
I almost wonder if they had some kind of transmitter failure and it just took them a while to get it back up and running. Makes sense to me, I remember logging a few times that there signal was unusually very weak and unreadable.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 1424 UTC »
I almost wonder if they had some kind of transmitter failure and it just took them a while to get it back up and running. Makes sense to me, I remember logging a few times that there signal was unusually very weak and unreadable.

Based on several factors including frequency stability, modulation quality, and transmission artifacts, I am pretty sure the Cuban numbers transmissions use more than one transmitter, possibly more than one transmitter site.  I think it would take more than a transmitter failure to keep every time slot off the air for a couple of days.  Possibly a site primary power failure would do it (assuming all transmitters are at one site) but I would assume some backup power exists.

Also, it has been widely reported and assumed (with very good supportive evidence) that the Cuban numbers stations use the same transmitters/facilities as RHC.  Was there a noticeable gap in RHC coverage during the down time for the Cuban numbers?  I do not follow RHC, but I did not notice anyone discussing it being off air.

T!
T!

Offline SW Observer

• View Profile
    • International Numbers Station Monitoring Association
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 1917 UTC »

Based on several factors including frequency stability, modulation quality, and transmission artifacts, I am pretty sure the Cuban numbers transmissions use more than one transmitter, possibly more than one transmitter site.  I think it would take more than a transmitter failure to keep every time slot off the air for a couple of days.  Possibly a site primary power failure would do it (assuming all transmitters are at one site) but I would assume some backup power exists.

Also, it has been widely reported and assumed (with very good supportive evidence) that the Cuban numbers stations use the same transmitters/facilities as RHC.  Was there a noticeable gap in RHC coverage during the down time for the Cuban numbers?  I do not follow RHC, but I did not notice anyone discussing it being off air.

T!

Hello Token, I don't listen to RHC that often but I did decide to tune into them a few nights ago, when HM01 was off the air. I listened to their 49m band frequencies, and I noticed no absences or any additional broadcasts.
Florida, always listening via my Tecsun PL-660 receiver.

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 1922 UTC »
logged by GH yesterday as:

** CUBA. 11635, July 14 at 2123, 5-digit Spanish YL numbers is stuck on only two of them: 2s and 3s over and over and over, with no pauses as monitored past 2127 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 2222 UTC »
glimmer twin, the station basically came back on air just after this thread was started, after aseveral day absence.

T!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 2224 UTC by Token »
T!

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 0209 UTC »
Yes I knew that from reading the posts as they were posted. Not only are they back but it is business as usual as GH's log shows.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room