We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What to Do with a Failed $5 Billion Experiment?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
What to Do with a Failed $5 Billion Experiment?
« on: July 22, 2014, 1326 UTC »
So you spent 17 years and $5 billion to build a fusion experiment. You built a facility wider than the length of three football fields. You built a 400-foot-long laser with more than 33,000 optical parts; it is currently the highest energy laser in the world. You've been through more budget overruns and management problems than you'd care to admit. 

Now, you finally turn the thing on at full power and carry out your experiment. And it fails monumentally. Now what?     

This is the dilemma facing the National Ignition Facility (NIF). Built with the promise of providing ignition -- creating fusion energy greater than the energy needed to release it -- NIF fell 28,000 times short of its goal. No one knows how to fix it. So NIF has now been finding other things to occupy its time.

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/07/what_to_do_with_a_5_billion_failed_experiment.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Fansome

Re: What to Do with a Failed $5 Billion Experiment?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 1347 UTC »
I don't know why these people don't just move on to the obvious solution: Cold Fusion.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 1442 UTC »
I wonder if they'll let me borrow the laser to reprogram Al's brain?

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 2117 UTC »
Well... IMHO... 

Did Edison give up when his first light bulb didn't turn out all that great?

Experiments are bound to get more expensive...  bigger toys for the military boys ehhh?

Personally I wouldn't toss a dime at this thing but we are paying for it via taxes and we have nothing to say about it...  So much for freedom ...

Did anyone ask the American public if they wanted to have something like this built? <heh>

Yes I am being snarky... sorry but this is par for the course for these large efforts.

BTW has SETI found Doctor Who yet?

Now to head back in my hiddy hole...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 2242 UTC »
Personally, I'd prefer jazz fusion  8)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 2247 UTC »
... with more than 33,000 optical parts...

I wonder if Perkin-Elmer had contracts for any of those.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 0144 UTC »
Repurpose it.

1. Send up multiple geostationary satellites that are stationed around the earth.  Point the laser at one of the satellites. It will split the beam and send it to its two neighboring satellites, and then those satellites split the beam and send them to its neighbors for a pair of beams circling (pair of beams for redundancy) the earth.

2. Those source beams will be split again, redirected, and widened to cover major parts of the earth below it. Experiment with different wavelength lasers to see impact of weather, clouds, atmosphere, and use whatever makes it through to the ground.

3. If the downlink laser isn't making it through the clouds, increase power to burn off the clouds.

4. Modulate the uplink laser beam, play music.

5. Profit.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 0247 UTC »
all that money wasted  :o  oh well the tax payers have more  ::)
"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Nella F.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 2328 UTC »
all that money wasted  :o  oh well the tax payers have more  ::)

Hilarious! PMP/SMD/SMS Everyone in the library is staring @ me I'm laughing so hard. When I get my pain medication for the split side from laughing my ass off you're getting the bill, brother!
                                                                 :D 8) :D
                                      (I'm referring to the Real Lt. Sulu, of course!)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 2331 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 1656 UTC »
NNSA should set up a website "NIF your stuff!" and sell the rights for the associated reality tv show to mtv.
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns