We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: Teotwaki's Morning Beacon Log  (Read 142338 times)

Offline Teotwaki

• DX Legend
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: Teotwaki's Morning Beacon Log
« Reply #915 on: July 12, 2020, 1429 UTC »
might be a new one for me

8495.200 KHz  Russian beacon "F". Very weak.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline Teotwaki

• DX Legend
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #916 on: July 12, 2020, 1826 UTC »
6700.490 KHz  Hexie2K  fair signal with rapid fades
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline MojaveBeaconeer

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 13, 2020, 0018 UTC »
I'm astounded that Hexy2k still runs, but very much a daytime/sun-only beacon now.  That xmtr. was implanted on 29 December 1999.  EdH and I never imagined it would last more than a couple of years - it is just one of our throwaway xmtrs: a 4011 RC keying and osc. ckt. to a 2N4427 p.a.. FT243 xtal. 

It was once down near 6700.4 but seems over time to have drifted upwards by 100  Hz - not much considering it's age!  Not audible much in Inyo due to being too close (in JTNP) and the lack of F2 skip and low MUF.  Occasionally in well enough here sometimes to let me know the thing still sounds the same!  I can always get on the KPH KiwiSDR/etc.

BTW, 6626 "Rocky" is sstill QRT pending cooler wx. to implant in a much safer location away from the hoards of jack and cottontail rabbits that CHEW wires... Perhaps back to the same location as its former dipole is still on-site but just taken down...

I personally know the developer of the KiwiSDR units - a guy in NZ once from San Anselmo in Marin.  We were both deep into LowFER beacons in the mid-to-late 80s whe I lived in San Rafael. His work has made this DXing pursuit really great!  73-ML/Steve McGreevy - N6NKS.