We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: South Pacific DX 8/17/2014  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
South Pacific DX 8/17/2014
« on: August 17, 2014, 1141 UTC »
702 Presumed Sydney in this morning with a good carrier and then into *very* faint audio peaking around 1043 UTC.  Man speaking with call-in listener which seemed to match up with the 2BL webstream.  I was hoping for some music that would help nail it, but these MW sunrise peaks only last for a few minutes, and poof - they vanish completely.  Strong t-storm crashes on the band didn't help things.

738 Tahiti, Polynésie 1, peaking around the same time as above with upbeat music that clearly matched their webstream.  Destroyed at 1100 UTC when 740 WRPQ Baraboo came on.

Other carriers noted this morning: 747, 1017, 1026, 1035.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: South Pacific DX 8/17/2014
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 0720 UTC »
Tahiti?  Daaaaang!  That is seriously impressive!  How the heck did you manage that one?  :) 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 0108 UTC »
Tahiti?  Daaaaang!  That is seriously impressive!  How the heck did you manage that one?  :) 

Beverage antenna and extreme patience :-)
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 0049 UTC »
Ya... Tahiti.

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want to get that one.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 0137 UTC »
Ya... Tahiti.

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want to get that one.

What is 740 like there during early morning?  I'm guessing Fargo on 740 might give you trouble when trying for 738?  A D-KAZ pointing 90 degrees away from KVOX might put you in good alignment with the South Pacific while nulling KVOX at the same time.  I guess I'm lucky in that the Toronto blaster on 740 is East of me.  As sunrise approaches here, their signal is weakened and I can usually kill it completely with the phaser.  This opens up 740 for me and reduces the splatter on 738 making the frequency pretty quiet (except when 740 Baraboo, WI. signs on for the day).

Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 0228 UTC »
Very little chance of 738 here.

740 CFZM from Toronto in the evenings & night.

740 WDGY (local 5kW with IBOC) will wipe out everything. Can't remember if they have a PSRA, I want to say yes as they seem to be on before sunrise (but mornings are hard for me, so I could be completely wrong on them coming on at 6:00. I should actually pay attention when I am up that early).

I was down in French Polynesia back in June 2011 and picked 738 up as a local. Brought the ATS-909X with and did some DXing while there. Was also trying to get U.S. pirates, but no luck.
Minneapolis, MN