We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Audio Processing  (Read 2764 times)

Offline audiokaos

• Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Audio Processing
« on: August 20, 2014, 1528 UTC »
So, what sort of audio processing best for SSB broadcasting? I'm guessing 6Khz bandwidth (Or 10?) ALC & Compression?
Using Kenwood TS930SAT, Dipole cut for 15M
please qsl audiokaos at gee mail dot com.

Offline OldSeaRock

• Earth, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Audio Processing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 0007 UTC »
In my experience with SSB there are many different factors involved; transmitter, microphone, power and audio source.  I've never been able to turn on a transmitter and have it operate optimally without fine-tuning.  Mic gain, compression, processing, ALC, etc.   Your 930 should have a monitor function, put on the cans and see how it sounds, adjust it.  

A good starting point would be the radio manual, then adjust accordingly. 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 0012 UTC by OldSeaRock »
eQsl appreciated:  theoldsearock@yahoo.com
Listening on & off since 1968.  Howdy from Tejas!

Offline OZNRH

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Just listen and relax
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 2018 UTC »
Hi audiokaos  :).

What kind of SSB are we talk about, only for communication or ?

Ole  :)..
The romantic on MW and SW is still alive.
Take a look on my webside: http://radiooznrh.webnode.com/

Offline audiokaos

• Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 2115 UTC »
Well, just listening to folks like Wolverine Radio & I'm just amazed that they get the audio (music) sounding as good as they do out of SSB. I do audio work myself & just wondered what processing they used for SSB. I understand the AM/FM requirements very well, just that SSB seems that it would require much more work to get it sounding good.
Using Kenwood TS930SAT, Dipole cut for 15M
please qsl audiokaos at gee mail dot com.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 2321 UTC »
Wolverine pounds the hell out of his processing whatever he has.  It kinda sounds like a 70's multiband innovonics box, but I could be wrong.  Generally he runs about 4-5 KHz audio bandwidth, and that is the primary reason his signal sounds so good for SSB.  I would prefer about 6KHz or so, but its difficult to find filters that wide for transmit applications.  If I was going to do sideband again, I'd probably build a phasing type exciter, that way your audio bandwidth would be determined soly by the lowpass filter in the audio processing chain, not the crystal filter in the modulator.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me