We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID Spanish broadcast over the WWV signal at 15000 KHz  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Hitchhiker

• I wanna tell you about Texas Radio & The Big Beat
    • View Profile
UNID Spanish broadcast over the WWV signal at 15000 KHz
« on: August 24, 2014, 1606 UTC »
Made a new wire antenna for the Grundig G3 and went to WWV to test it. Works great. Then I pick up the radio and get a crystal clear Spanish broadcast on top of the time signals. Both come in at S-9. Put the radio down and the Spanish signal completely disappears.

I'll take credit for the extra electricity but I don't speak Spanish so it isn't channeling me. And I can't find anything on the net about a Spanish broadcast anywhere near 15000 KHz.

Can somebody explain to me what's going on?

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
Re: UNID Spanish broadcast over the WWV signal at 15000 KHz
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 1919 UTC »
the radio was probably overloading with a local MW Spanish language station. The reason it happened when you touched the radio is because you are obviously some sort of wizard.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Hitchhiker

• I wanna tell you about Texas Radio & The Big Beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 2135 UTC »
Thanks for the lesson. Thought that might be it, but it was so far up from the MW that I thought it might be something bleeding over from Central or South America. And couldn't figure out which local station it was.

Either way, I've lost the magic touch. There's nothing leeching through now.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 2243 UTC »
I agree on the overloading and probable cause, but there are a couple of other possibilities

!5000 khz. is close to the third harmonic of Radio Cristal on 5010. They have a notoriously drifting signal. However Cristal is tough to hear on it's fundamental frequency, so I doubt that it's them.

Now, if the Cubans are using 7500 khz. all bets are off as 15000 khz. is it's second harmonic. The Cubans are all over 49 and 41 meters these days.

BTW, try checking 5900 khz. if you hear it again. A portable with too much antenna is prone to images from 900 khz. above the frequency it's tuned to. You became the ground side of the antenna when you picked the radio up, which caused the overloading.