We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: THERE IS A GOD- RADIO DISNEY IS SELLING ALL BUT ONE OF ITS STATIONS!!!!!  (Read 5318 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Effective September The only station it's keeping is KDIS in Los Angeles ,Ca. Nooowwww- what're these new stations gonna do for formats? Spanish, Religious? (I hope not) News? Classic Hits? Brokered?

My local Disney station is the powerhouse WWJZ 640 50KW at Day 950 watts night.

Yours?
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
My local pest is 1440, KDIZ.  5kW day/500W night that's 4.5 miles away.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline SW Observer

• View Profile
    • International Numbers Station Monitoring Association
My local station is WQEW, For the New York City area on 1560 with a 50 kW transmitter.

I was actually listening to it last week at 6 AM trying to figure out what station this was, playing terrible pop music on the MW band.  Honestly, if I had the money I would buy this station without hesitation... though I think if I had the money to buy stations, I'd focus my attention to Shortwave.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 2342 UTC by RW Observer »
Florida, always listening via my Tecsun PL-660 receiver.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
RW -

I'd also buy 1440 near me... and would parallel it with a shortwave station. And run C-QUAM on them.

However, the money tree is not producing enough to afford either of those, so that's off the table.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nooowwww- what're these new stations gonna do for formats?

There's always Everypony Radio...
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
I'm hoping for some good DX on some of these channels if they go dark for any length of time.  When the Sussex, WI. Disney went silent on 1640 I was able to log California and then Oregon briefly one night on 1640.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Online redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I doubt they'll go dark.  Disney is spinning them off as per their research, only 13% of their listenership is through AM, and contemporary music of today does not sound good on the average 2KHz wide AM radio.  They were supposedly taking a bath on music royalties, that combined with the high cost of maintaining an ageing AM plant makes them non-viable.  Depending on the market they will probably go mexican or religious, as those are the only groups really running non-viable signals anymore.  Everything else is either news/talk or sports.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dizzy Knee - KDDZ in Denver CO 1690 AM   30 khz bandwidth IBOC signal makes it to my QTH when propagation favors it.
Weird Music?  I'm getting old. I hate IBOC as well...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 0450 UTC by Rockpicker »
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
The Sussex, WI Disney outlet is my local, rendering 1640 impossible to DX.  I can also hear the New York outlet on 1560 if conditions are right.  Oof. 

I really, really, really hope they don't go religious.  We've got enough of those already.  Regional Mexican would at least be listenable.  Here's to some DX for all of us if any of the Disneyfied stations is off the air a few days during whatever change of ownership they make...
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
I don't think pop music leaving the AM band for good is anything to cheer about. Unless you want more religious programming on the AM band, which apparently is not everybody's cup of tea.

Radio Disney wasn't bad to listen to, for what it was. I liked tuning around at night and hearing the odd Disney station's electronic pop music thumping away next to the usual talk, sports, Spanish religious and ranchero programming that covers the band.

The religious organizations seem to be the only ones who have the capital who are willing to bet on AM, so you probably will find a few of the Disney stations going religious. A failing AM station outside my metro area just went Catholic / EWTN. From what I gather, the doors weren't exactly being broken down with other potential buyers.

A lot of the Disney stations are in metros where the 3 main sports networks already are covered, so you probably can rule out sports. As for Mexican music, a lot of the markets where Disney stations are located already have those, including stations on FM.

I read that Disney had 16% listenership on AM, which is pretty high, considering the demographic. But OTA radio is more expensive than streaming. So it was only a matter of time.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: THERE IS A GOD- RADIO DISNEY IS SELLING ALL BUT ONE OF ITS STATIONS!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 2124 UTC »
This is true, that it did brighten up the typically bland and boring AM band. I don't care too much for the mainstream tunes but I reckon it was better than no new music on the AM  at all.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Online redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 0754 UTC »
A lot of the Disney outlets were c-quam prior to the introduction of HD.  To boot, their processing wasn't too bad, and they were shaking the hell out of whatever they were running.  I will be sad to see them go.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 0227 UTC »
I would love to have the money to buy one of those stations.  I would make it a tri-format station: Classic country music (70's-80's) Monday-Friday, bluegrass music on Saturdays, and Southern Gospel music on Sundays.