We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: THE SKY IS FALLING  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
THE SKY IS FALLING
« on: September 11, 2014, 0028 UTC »
When I logged into AOL this evening to check my email, I was amused to find out that this afternoon's X1.6 solar flare was making headlines! Nothing at all in the article about us hapless shortwave enthusiasts. I did notice that earlier today, WWV on 10, 15, and 20 MHZ was basically inaudible. Anyway, isn't solar activity supposed to be on the down cycle?

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/09/10/scientists-extreme-solar-storm-heading-to-earth/20960634/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl13%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D527695
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: THE SKY IS FALLING
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 0254 UTC »
You won't get Al to bite on that one. He's out patrolling the beaches for the Islamo-Penguins he expects to invade on 9/11.

I think he and some character called Murphy are taking turns pushing each other in a wheelbarrow up and down the Outer Banks?