We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: No log here- general "announcement" re: blackout conditions  (Read 2308 times)

Offline kmorgan

• View Profile
No log here- general "announcement" re: blackout conditions
« on: September 12, 2014, 1456 UTC »
Say- just because conditions are said to be terrible next few days does not mean you shouldn't attempt DXing. Some of my most remarkable catches were during storms- odd things happen during aurora times - one b'cast station fades out and something from the other side of the planet fades in.

Keep dxing- I'm heading over to a "radio quiet" area in Cave Creek AZ this weekend to do some serious dxing! (actually, it's for "Pug-sitting" but I of course bring some receivers with me ha ha) It's about 35 mi. NE of Phoenix AZ in the middle of the desert- with practically zero RFI/EMI around me  :)

If you get a chance to go on your own "dxpedition" in a relatively isolated location, do so. It is well worth it.

My best location ever was in the mountains of Morocco - as far as the eye could see not a radio tower nor electric pole as far as you could see! It was like traveling back in time a few hundred years - in a village with no roads nor electric power grid. Can you imagine??? Talk about reception!! I also got to visit the fam in the actual "Quiet Zone" in W VA years ago- but that was pre-listening days for me :( wish I had known about HF radio hobby back then... sighs..

ANYWAY-

I'll post any items of interest later this evening God willing- can't wait for my mini-dxpedition tonight. Love those "quiet" areas. The only interruptions I will be hearing late tonight will be coyotes....

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: No log here- general "announcement" re: blackout conditions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 1829 UTC »
A very good point!

I have heard MW DXers refer to this as "mixing the pot", giving you a different set of stations to listen to. Unusual propagation can result in unusual catches.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 1902 UTC »
Well said kmorgan,

Good Luck on your DXpedition.

Hope you catch a lot.

Before I recently got back into HF listening, I remember that in my youth these "Stormy Times" were sometimes exceptional for me as far as DXing goes.

They were also the most fickle.

Conditions can turn against you in a second or few...  and then pffft, the signal from across the globe... is gone... :(  :(
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 1904 UTC »
Conditions can turn against you in a second or few...  and then pffft, the signal from across the globe... is gone... :(  :(

Just before they were about to ID.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 2235 UTC »
Good luck, and take a looooong spool of wire with ya!
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline kmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 1843 UTC »
Cave Creek AZ
Thanks I DID take a looong spool of wire with me- i tossed it on top of the very high roof of the guest house I stayed in. Welp- I managed to leave my logs there at the house  ??? No remarkable catches I can remember off hand, but an anomaly was that I did manage to receive N American stations that are usually *not* receivable in my location (Phoenix) somehow the Eastern N Am. stations don't make it west usually. WWCR, WWRB, and Voice of America out of Tennessee were excellent. Other than that lots of China - that is all I can recall without my logs. The "usuals" were all there- Radio NZ, Radio Aus- good good- and like I said, N American transmitters all came in miraculously well. I could not force myself to do some nite owl listening as after feeding exercizing and mucking out stalls for TWO big horses I was exhausted & hit the hay early!!

It would have been better had the property not parked on site a miserable 5th wheel "trailer" they rented out to some tenants about 30 feet from my location! miserable miserable hash- NO radio "silence" but noise at every 20 khz on 3MHz and below- to be repeated starting about 14MHz and above! Every 20khz- bzzzzzz...dammit! That really ticked me off- as the trailer was not at this location previously, and the location was my own little dxpedition "hut". After speaking with the tenant in the trailer, I asked if it got hot in there? "Oh no- we've got two air conditioners running": this trailer is powered by one, big, long extension cord tapped off at the swimming pool power panel!!! Ho-lee Crap! Talk about fire hazards- well I'm not the homeowner.... I think a call to the city code enforcement should be in order as this can't be legal- let alone safe.

wasted HF trip- so much noise it made listening almost useless as no faint stations were to be heard over the RFI/EMI etc.

Instead of the HF I did bring a digital trunk tracking scanner, at least VHF was good. I had programmed the scanner with stuff local to the area, so while not having HF to do some serious listening, the novelty of police calls and EMT/Fire Dept had its moments.

By the by- quite a few hams in the Cave Creek/Scottsdale areas as there were many many towers erected in people's yards around me.

Too bad my dxing was not as I had hoped for- and I hope NEXT time god willing I house/pug dog sit that dam#$%d trailer will be history.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 1845 UTC by kmorgan »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns